Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Coincidence or Post-Op Reaction??

Hi Everyone, Had two level fusion on Nov 13, 2013: L4/5-L5/S1. Stayed in hospital 5 days. On my second day of hospitalization, my mother died unexpectantly. Of course the shock and not able to be there was extremely emotionally draining and I believe it set me back some two weeks at least, to really start my healing process. Somewhere between the actual fusion and 3 weeks post op, I was informed S1 had fractured and collapsed causing excruciating pain at the very base of my tailbone. I had had this pain in hospital as well but no where as painful as the weeks went on. Now because of myself being emotionally "out of it" because of my Mom's death (crying hours on end for days). I began to notice a lot of arthritis type of pain in both hands, legs and especially both knees. If I got down on my knees to pick something up instead of bending over, it is so painful I am unable to get up unless I am holding onto something, take a few breaths and hope for the best to get up..
It has been like this ever since the surgery, not before. My hands are also an issue although I have had "trigger finger" a few years back but now when I wake up, I can not make a fist, they both are so painful and swollen. I've had trigger finger before but nothing to the extent of it incapacitating me so. My legs are very week. Not sure from swelling from this new "arthritic" type of ailment: due to the surgery, meds or fracture of collapsed disc. I know this is so much info but boy is it good to talk about it.

So how bout it. Any of you experience arthritis type ailments that effects your everyday life? Would love to hear from you.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Losing a parent is never easy, but compounding it by not being able to be there! Hoping for a lot of strength from you in that area.

Arthritis is a nasty alignment. Years ago, I thought it only happened to older people and it just that they could move their fingers, etc.

Now, I so much different, as a person who is suffering from degenerative arthritis, I fully understand the discomfort, pain and options. Before I get into anything, I strongly recommend taking a look at the Arthritis site that Veritias (parent company to Spine-Health ) has put together. http://www.arthritis-health.com/

The first thing you need to know about arthritis is which type you have.

RA Rheumatoid Arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disease and is classified as an autoimmune disorder. RA which can be painful at times can be controlled / managed / and improved by medications and exercise.

OA Osteoarthritis is a type of degenerative arthritis that occurs when the cartilage that acts as padding between the joints breaks down. This type of arthritis unfortunately does not have a medical solution. There are exercises and medications to help with the pain, but like many other treatments for the spine, these provide temporary relief only. As the joints wear down more, the only option becomes surgery.

I have OA, diagnosed 2005 as having it in both shoulders, hip and one ankle (bone scan results) Since that time, I have had about 20+ steroid injections to help reduce some of the pain. Eventually, the only option was surgery. In 2010, I had both of my shoulders totally replaced with titanium implants. In 2011, I had one hip totally replaced with implants and this past November 2013 I had the other hip replaced. MRI and X-Rays are showing the degeneration of my left knee.

So to answer some of your questions, yes Arthritis can impact so many of your day to day activities. Just trying to get up off your knees to stand, try to reach for something over your head, a simple handshake and much more. My joint replacements were all totally successful. Some of my doctors are amazed at my shoulders, only because of my age and previous spinal surgeries. One thing I can say, when it comes to shoulders, the recovery is very very tough, about 18 months of daily hard work. But in the end it pays off.

So much of what you described can be attributed to arthritis. One of the first things I would do is find out which arthritis do you have. Hopefully, your insurance company would allow you to see a Rheumatologist without a referral, if not, I am sure your PCP would help you there.

Back to you, its difficult to separate the pain you are having know from post surgical or related to the new arthritis.
    Add the difficulties in dealing with your mothers death, I am sure everything is painful and everything is clouded right now.
    In time, things will become clearer.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 101
    Thank you Ron. Your replies are helpful and thoughtful. I will look into it. I think first though, I will see what my neurosurgeon thinks of this since it really seems to have gotten so intensely noticeable after my fusion.