Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hydrocodone vs percocet vs norcos

I have been taking hydrocodone since 1997. My Dr. changed me to percocet. Pain relief was only for 1-2 hrs & pain was back. I don't understand if this is a stronger molecule why it doesn't work. Now she wants to prescribe norcos which I believe ate exactly the same as hydrocodone. Can you help explain?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    their specific makeup, dosage, usage, etc

Please provide us with the detail behind your hydrocodone, percocet and norco (ie mg, other components, etc)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hydrocodone is the active ingredient in both vicoden and norco, however the difference in the names comes from the different strengths of each product. Percocet contains both oxycodone and acetominphin - tylenol.....
    Are you taking these medications at regular intervals? Meaning every day? Multiple times per day?
    The issue with short acting medications taken regularly is that eventually, they no longer work as well as they once did, and seem to loose their effectiveness and duration of action when taken for extended periods of time.
    Are you seeing a pain management doctor? If you have been taking hydrocodone since 1997, it may be time to consider a long acting version of another medication, rather than continue using short acting versions.
    You don't say what medical condition you are taking hydrocodone for, but for those of us with chronic conditions, the use of long acting medications provide smoother pain control overall with the use of short acting meds occassionally when we go through a serious pain flare.
  • They are the same as they are opioid medication. However the molecules are tweeted so the effect may differ slightly but to switch from one to the other doesn't really make sense unless one was making you have unwanted side effects that the other is not.
    I know for me oxycodone(Percocet) makes me extremely energetic and talkative. However hydrocodone (norco) makes me extremely sleepy to the point I am passing out sitting up.
  • in the good old days when they had triplicate prescriptions, hydrocodone only needed a single script. percocet or perdodan needed a triplicate script since it was stronger and more abuse. then the past few years, they got away from the triplicate forms and went to single forms whereas all narcotics are now on the single forms. this is supposed to make it easier to monitor abuse of meds. my pharmacist does not like the single scripts. he says it is more of a hassle with sea, drrs, and all of the other stuff that they do
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Different meds work differently for different people. Otherwise, we'd all be taking the same thing. The human body is complex and we are all unique. I doubt there is any logical explanation for why Percocet wore off fast. I guess it just isn't the right med for you.