Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

a quick story

tomyo10ttomyo10 Posts: 5
edited 02/24/2014 - 4:30 AM in Chronic Pain
I put this under the chronic pain forum. Didn't know exactly where it should go..

July 2012- ACDF disc replacement.

Quick version: Woke up with my left side- very weak and creaky.

My right side from my chest down all numb (minus the arm). You can draw a line right down the middle of my body seperating numbness and creakiness. The doc at the time said "somebody missed something" and " it may take a year to come back or more if at all".

Fast forward 19 months. Been doing about 15 minutes a day of yoga just trying to loosen up a bit for the day. I actually feel better when I stand rather than sit down. The Yoga seems to help. On Gabapentin and something else for the stiffness- the name escapes me. seems to work OK. When I try to cut back just a little bit, my body says "no".

I have no recourse with a lawsuit (a lawyer told me I have to be dead or in a wheelchair).

My 15 second body crushing pain in my creaky leg I would get has not happened in awhile. I think it's improving. I know it's a process.

I was thinking of acupuncture. Was wondering if that worked for anyone.

My biggest fear down the road is my right side. I could pound a nail in my right side and wouldn't feel it. So I can feel my left lower back ache a bit after work but nothing on the right side.

Plus I have sex problems (due to only feeling have of me) as well as bathroom problems (same excuse).

I have told this story an awful lot and everyone looks at me weirdly.

I'm kind of looking for some kind of answers. Or at least talk to anyone who has similar problems.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I can't believe I'm the only one who has these symptoms. Answers from anyone?
  • So far okay after 8 months. Other then usual pains I have no numbness like you. So sorry this has happened to you. Still on norco and flexeril. You probably have to keep going to doctors so they can pin point the problem. Maybe you need to post in another forum.
  • Tired of the painTTired of the pain Posts: 197
    edited 02/22/2014 - 1:18 PM
    Have you had an EMG? It test the nerve conduction from your spine. How many disks removed and what levels? It could have been something that the anesthesiologist did or something that the surgeon did. When I had my surgery, the run down of "informed consent" was that I could come out worse than I went in, but I had no idea how much. Have you had an MRi of the lower back? It is possible that you had bad disks in lower back but did not feel it because your neck was so bad. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I have tried acupuncture and had moderate success with it, but it was not cheap and not c by insurance. I paid out of pocket for a long time but then my husband lost his job so no more.if you go, make sure you find an acupuncture physician, not just an acupuncturist. Good luck.
  • ChuckRoastChuckRoast Posts: 37
    edited 02/24/2014 - 5:29 AM
    tomyo10 said:
    I can't believe I'm the only one who has these symptoms. Answers from anyone?
    If the cord is compressed you can have pain anywhere.

I wish you luck with the ADR but I caution you that the ADRs approved for use in the US are not all that good. The only one I would consider it the Bryan Disc.

There have been huge problems with Stryker Cervicore and Flexicore disks. Stryker is also infamous for it's dangerous metal on metal hip implants.

Another disk to avoid is Medtronic's Prestige disk. It's metal on metal.

There are high quality disk replacements but the FDA refuses to approve them for use in the US.

If I could get a disk prosthesis my choices would be NeoDisk, Freedom Disk or the M-6. The only US disk I would consider is the Bryan disk but in my expert opinion it's not as good and the ones used in Europe. It is interesting to note that the NeoDisc, M6 and Freedom disk are all made in the US. The reason they are not approved for use in the US IMO is because there are made by small companies who lack the war chests to buy FDA inspectors.

There are 4 major players in spine who tell the FDA what to do. They are Medtronic, J&J, Stryker and Lanx. Many surgeons have POD and kickback deals with the device companies.

The good disk replacements act like a real disk. This is good for patients but bad for business. The good ADRs fix the problem right the first time.

This may sound like crazy talk but if you do the research you will see that as shocking as it is what I am saying 100% true.

If they are not using the Bryan disk I would be reluctant to have the surgery.

I was warned by an ethical surgeon that most ADRs over rotate.

Stryker Spine CerviCore Trial NEVER APPROVED FOR IDE BY FDA ...
    May 19, 2012 - IT WAS ON THE INTERNET FOR YEARS ADVERTISING RECRUITS FOR STRYKER CERVICORE. If you are an attorney, all you will need to ...
    Stryker CerviCore Disc CT-002-04 Sec 801 lockbox as Never ...
    Nov 30, 2013
    Stryker CerviCore TDR trial in lock box never approved;Stryker ...
    May 14, 2013
    Stryker CerviCore Artificial Disc Biomaterials
    Nov 1, 2011
    Stryker CerviCore Disc Tumors From Metallosis

Link removed, not permitted.Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • ChuckRoastChuckRoast Posts: 37
    edited 02/24/2014 - 5:24 AM

Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
    You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.
  • I had an EMG a few years ago (before the first surgery). It showed some problems but not what I ended up with.

I had 2 discs replaced- C5/C6 and C6/C7. Then after a month, they noticed some scar tissue in the front and some problems in the back. So they went back in the front, took care of the tissue then flipped me over and took care of the back.

The surgeon finally acknowleded that "someone missed something" in the first surgery and that caused the problems.

Over the past month or so I have been doing a little yoga via a DVD most every morning and it seems to be helping. The problem is I don't know whether it's just helping the stiffness or the nerves are starting to regenerate.

If this is not the correct forum, can someone suggest another one?

• I would like to know if you are still interested in speaking to others with this disk? Please message me or respond . I just found this post .