Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm doing epidurals now....OMG the pain!!

Qman2QQman2 Posts: 37
edited 02/21/2014 - 5:50 PM in Spinal Injections
After being diagnosed with a L4 bulging disk on Jan 2, I had an epidural on Jan 14 and then again today. Boy was I naïve! My wife had an epidural during child birth and she had immediate results. I expected the same but found it was 5-7 days after the first epidural before I could say I was feeling some relief.

I was certainly feeling better and the doctor was pleased with my improvement. Today, the doctor gave me an injection at both L4 and L5 and I've been referred to physical therapy for the next month.

My question for anymore, do you suffering from excruciating pain during the actual injection? The first time I didn't expect it (I didn't know) and I thought maybe the doctor nicked my spinal cord so at least today I was ready. He ended up giving me the worst injection in thirds to spread out the pain. The pain is from the injection site down to my toes on my right side where the budge is. He said the pain is an indication that he's in the right spot. Today he proposed that I be sedated during my next epidural so I won't feel it or remember it.

Seriously, am I just a wimp or is this normal?

March 20, 2014 - L4/L5 Laminectomy and Microdiscectomy

• RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 02/14/2014 - 9:19 PM
    I experienced major pain while receiving a steroid injection down my left leg. The pain I had was from the medication coming in contact with the irritated nerve root. So your doctor is probably right, he is probably in the right spot.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • ShmooeySShmooey Posts: 89
    edited 02/15/2014 - 2:16 AM
    But I had severe pain and swelling for five days after. It wasn't around the injection site, and it wasn't an allergy, but the doc really hit the right spot. Mine was not a general epidural, it was transforaminal.

I had bad pain when I got facet joint injections back in 2010 and 2011. They gave numbing shots, but then they immediately did the four spine injections. I was thinking, when they give you novocaine at the dentist, they give it a couple of minutes to work! This was immediately following the numbing shots.
    (see profile for medical details)

I *heart* my TENS unit.
  • mjd210mmjd210 Posts: 92
    edited 02/15/2014 - 2:18 AM
    Was your injections done with the use of fluoroscope or x-ray. I know that can make a big difference. I didn't feel my injections were that painful at all. Don't get me wrong its not comfortable.

alif l4-s1
  • anelsen15anelsen15 Posts: 119
    edited 02/15/2014 - 6:15 AM
    I asked for no sedation with mine because found it so non painful.
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar
  • Qman2QQman2 Posts: 37
    edited 02/15/2014 - 4:40 PM
    They use the fluoroscope. I got injection in two spots and the only one that hurt was the bulging disk. Guess I'm not alone but I will opt for the sedation next time.

March 20, 2014 - L4/L5 Laminectomy and Microdiscectomy
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    I never had any noticeable pain level during the injection. About 90% of them were done under the guidance of fluoroscope..
    I had some level of sedation medication, very little for about half of the injections.

The pain for me, was like a strong bee sting, but lasted for only a couple of seconds.

When done properly, there shouldn't be much pain during the actual procedure. Most of the discomfort will come in the first 36 hours after the injection is done.

So, I am not sure why you felt the pain you did.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • All of mine have stung life an intense bee sting and I felt clicking as they injected it. Once I had acute L5 nerve pain into my foot, but it dwindled after the injection.

I hope the injection gives you some relief.
    27 Year Old, suffering with several spinal conditions since 2007...

Spondylolisthesis grade 4, PLIF 2007 corrected to grade 2,
    Nerve Damage and all of the fun that comes along with it.