Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Throat tightness

Does anyone experience throat tightness along with their neck problems? This has been an on and off issue for me for over the past year. Recently it has been at its worst. It seems when my neck is more irritated I have the throat tightness with a sort of choking constriction feeling. If I bend over to much it seems to bring it on also. The doctors don't seem to have an explanation for this. I have two disc herniations, three levels of nerve impingement and stenosis with bone spurs and multiple levels of arthritis in the cervical spine. If you do experience this, is there anything that helps alleviate it? It has got to be one of my most bothersome symptoms. Thanks!

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    I've been like this for at least the past 4 years of my life and things don't seem to be getting any better since my surgeries. I was diagnosed with Basilar Invagination 3 years ago and had two surgeries to take care of my condition two years ago. I am now fused from occiput to c3 and suffer from neck pain on a daily basis. It seems the throat tightness as always been part of my life and there is no question in my surgeons mind that it is all caused by my condition. It is very bothersome and can be hell when going to sleep. I usually suck on a honey lemon candy before going to bed and it seems to at least help me go to sleep. I hope you can find a way to alleviate the symptom yourself and if you find something good, please share it with us.
    Take care!
  • Can you tell me what Basilar Invagination is? Is that the cause of your throat tightness? Actually if I lay down on my side it seems to help the constriction feeling. But a person can't be laying down all of the time! Sorry that you suffer from daily pain. I know it's not easy and gets very tiring. Take care, Jill
  • patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    Here's the shortest explanation I could find.
    "Basilar invagination is an uncommon condition that occurs when the upper portion of the second vertebra (C2) moves upward. This may cause compression of the spinal cord and brainstem, creating a variety of neurologic problems, including sudden death." One neurological symptom that always comes back is difficulty swallowing. There is nothing worst for me than to be laying down.
    Thanks for your concern Jill!