Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good Core and back exercises to prevent/relieve lower back pain?

Hi, I'm an 18 year old male. I've been having lower back pain for months along with other symptoms that resembled a disc problem or sciatica. I had an MRI today and everything was completely normal in my spine. I don't have any "visible" problem in my back.

The doctor concluded that my core was more than likely weak. See I am 6'10" and 285 lbs so I am huge and I grew really fast. Fast as in 6 inches over 1 summer. So my muscles never had the time to catch up because my body size was constantly changing.

I am set to start PT soon, but until then I want to start doing some core, and legs stuff to improve strength. I have an exercise ball to work on core stuff.

I am going to work with my basketball team which is a college starting in April and they will help me with absolute strength (weight training) but I want to get my basic strength and foundation improved right now. And any stretches are appreciated as well. I have very tight hamstrings.

Thanks to everyone reading and have a blessed day.

• Glad to hear there is no visible issue with your back. An MRI with appropriate reading is pretty conclusive for structural issues. I would wait until your PT visit to start with any exercises as ones that you do may conflict with the progression that they have for you. They generally start simple and make sure there are no complications before moving to more advanced ones. If you start some now and get sore or tweak something, they will have a hard time diagnosing what is going on with your back.

I would just concentrate on keeping yourself active. Swimming is a great core building exercise that has no impact on your body and great for cardiovascular health.

Good luck!
    C7-T1 ACDF 12Dec2013