Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

can i ask my pm doc to put me back oj meds

My last doc appt my urine came up negative for fentanyl and hydrocodone. He said that either means im selling it or i don't need it so he took me off the fentanyl patch. Will it look like drug seeking behavior if I ask to go back on it
W. Logan

• LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 101
    Well are you taking it on a consistent basis..like everyday as directed?
  • Why is he testing you anyway? Are you a convict or something
  • mjd210mmjd210 Posts: 92
    edited 02/18/2014 - 1:51 AM
    The pain clinic I go to does urine screening to make sure you are taking you meds as directed. I believe this is a common practice among other clinics. They also keep tract of when you filled your controlled substance and when you are asking for a refill.

I think it does raise some red flags asking for a medication when you test negative for the prescription you are supposed to be taking. The only suggestion I would make is talk to your doctor and explain why you did not take your meds.
    alif l4-s1
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 02/18/2014 - 2:43 AM
    when you flunk a test or ask for meds, this is problamatic at best. why did you test negative? you did not say. was the doctor correct?? unfortunately you get put on a black list with respect to pain doctors.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • If the doctor stopped prescribing the fentanyl and hydrocodone because you tested negative for both of them or one of them, then it is unlikely that he will go back and put you back on them. Fentanyl is not a medication that if you were using it properly would not show up in the testing, since it is transmitted through the skin, so there is no medical reason that it wouldn't have shown up........and the hydrocodone also should have shown up.
    Why did you have none in your system, assuming you were following the prescribing directions?
  • JAM661JJAM661 Posts: 121
    edited 02/18/2014 - 12:36 PM
    10 tears ago doctors rarely tested pain patients. But in today's world it is the norm to do so. By checking your urine the doctor will be able to know that are taking the type (opiates) of drugs he prescribed to you. While a doctor can test to find out the exact medications you are taking such as morphine or hydrocodone most doctors do not. Since you are not taking the medications why would you want more instead of just using what you should still have ? I would be vey surprised if he prescribed pain medications again for you unless you can account for the medication you have received. If a doctor prescribes medication to someone who is not using it as prescribed (selling, giving to others, taking more then prescribed) he could be at risk of losing his license.
  • I do need and take them. However I try as hard as I can to use other pain control methods as well. I think we owe it to ourselves to not rely on medication alone. So I do have times where I skip doses but can assure u its not for any negative reason. They do help me quite a bit and I've been seeing this doctor 4 yrs. This is the first time this issue has come up. I just think it was an. Unfair knee jerk reaction
    W. Logan
  • Something you might want to do is to tell your doctor that you do not need to take the medications all the time. The fentanyl patches are used by those who have chronic moderate or severe pain and gives pain relief round the clock and are used for 2-3 days and then changed. Pills that are used for a short time sounds like a better choice for you. One thing you could do that could help is to start a pain journal to help you and your doctor know how your pain is effecting your life day to day, what makes worse, what helps ect.
  • pandqmamappandqmama Posts: 175
    edited 02/18/2014 - 4:01 PM
    I can understand the pills but not the patch. Didn't u go thru withdrawal ? On my best days I can go with the patch maybe an extra day but never just not wear one. I am assuming positive intent just curious how u can be without it.
  • for several days, so the only way that it would not show up is if you aren't using the patches with any regularity and then , you shouldn't be on it. Fentanyl is dosed transdermally over 72 hours so, you would have had to not have had a patch on for a few days for it to be negative.
    Doctors do send out testing for specific drugs using GS/MS testing, which shows exactly how much of a particular medication is in your system, if it is there at all.
    Most doctors prefer to use GS/MS testing these days because of it's accuracy.
    I wouldn't be too surprised if you get a dismissal letter in the mail, due to the failed test. If you don't need around the clock pain medication , it is best not to use it.
    Fentanyl is one of the strongest pain medications out there .
  • wenlaw99wwenlaw99 Posts: 17
    edited 02/19/2014 - 10:21 AM
    I think the misunderstanding is that I rarely wear them
    I have a patch on everyday of the month. Every now and th n I will go w/o it jus to c if my pain level has improved any. Unfortunately the answer is no. I haven't had a patch on since Saturday and I've been in bed sincecsunday
    W. Logan
  • It's ok i believe you wenlaw. I too don't like taking narcos and will skip several days just to See If Other METHODS Will Work instead but then go back to the narcos. I do this often in hopes one day soon i can drop the strong pills. Your doctor is only looking after his own back not really caring to much about yours. Sad world we live in
  • Honestly, if you haven't been wearing the patch all of the time, then where are the spares that you should have left? Not trying to be mean, but I can't blame this doctor at all, yes he is covering his own butt, he has to, this is a non-compliant patient. Why should he lose his livelihood and waste all of the time and expense he went through to become a doctor for a patient that claims they need the patches but then says they don't need them all the time and can't account for the ones that weren't worn. Who's to say they haven't been sold, which is one of the things that makes it even harder for true chronic pain patients. I don't blame him at all, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised that you don't get dismissed officially very soon. It sounds like, maybe he got suspicious and was proven correct, because like Sandi said, going one day without a patch isn't going to give you a negative drug test, it would be several days for that to happen, and YES the doctor KNOWS this, that's why you were cut off.

IF what your saying is true, and you really are in pain, then I would talk to him and explain, yes I have pain, no its not all the time, but don't expect narcotics; He might however give you other meds that might help.
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 101
    Bottom line is: If you are not taking/using your medications by your Doctor instructions, you are being non-compliant. Either use them as directed or stop playing games. I work in the medical field and if you were our patient we would either have you re-evaluated to see if you even need such strong meds and if you would not comply, we would discharge you....period. There is no logical reason you would not have to call your Doctor for refills if you have not been using as directed. You have very vague answers to what most of us are asking you...it is hard for me to not feel that you giving us the run-around and not being truthful to the forum or yourself.
  • the patches are very very very and i mean very expensive even with insurance. my fenatnyl lollipop cost $300 for a box of 120 and that is with insurance. without it, it would cost $1200 a month. it is hard to believe you don't use them or throw them out due to the high cost. even if you have insurance it would be too expensive and a friend of mine on disability tried to get the patches and the disability people would not give them to him because of the cost. they had to haggle a lot to get them. this does not make sense on all fronts, especially the cost of them and to throw them away or not use them. i also feel that we are getting the run around here and you need to be more upfront about what is really going on. too many people here are skeptical about what is going on. please be more up front about what is going on. if something costs about $1200 a month, why not use them or throw them out?
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.