Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Whats in a word/phrase

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
edited 02/18/2014 - 10:13 AM in New Member Introductions
A word is just part of a phrase or sentence, isnt it?

When anyone regardless of where they come from or the service/product they are seeking, there are certain words that are going to be accepted, those that the other people is going to revolt about and those words that really mean nothing.

The words to get you the furthest

• - Please
    - Do you have any other suggestions?
    - What options do we have?
    - Everything I have tried does not seem to help, what can we do?
    - Are there tests that can confirm or deny what is going on with me?

Words that we get you no where and perhaps only the door

• - I want
    - I demand
    - I insist
    - You have to, I am paying you
    - You need to

Words that will go no where

• - Yes it hurts, but only sometimes
    - I dunno, what do you think
    - My friend says that I should say ....
So people believe anyone that provides you are service owes it to you to do whatever and that you are the on in control and should be making the demands. I've witnessed this at car mechanics. Someone comes in with their car, having a ignition problem, they begin to tell the mechanic You worked on this one before, I expect you to have the resolution within a couple of hours. I will stop by at 4:00 to pick up my car, completely fixed Thats not going to get the attention of the service person, instead they may even be somewhat resentful of the overall tone.

Its really not that different with your doctors. You go to them, because they are the experts in the field. You provide them input and expect a certain level of output. But is it the output you wanted to hear?

I think as a whole, we treat our professional providers of tools/appliances/vehicles with more respect. We recognize that they are the experts in the field, so we need to listen to what they have to say. So, why should it be different when it comes to many patient-doctor relations?

How do you catch more bees? With Honey or Vinegar?

This doesnt mean that you just have to take everything a doctor gives you. You need to use common sense and when something doesnt seem right, ask the question.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Something else to think about, the phrase "I've done a little reading about this or that subject, what do you think?" I don't know if its necessarily good or bad, but I've found myself saying this before. What do you all think?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    edited 02/18/2014 - 10:15 AM
    I always believe that as spinal patients we need to be very educated in our condition and the conservative and surgical treatments. That is good knowledge to have.

But, sometimes people read into something or read part of an article and then take that to be the medical gospel. We might sound somewhat good saying things like that, but doctors can read right through it.
  • Now just think about it don't you sometimes feel like you are under
    investigation? I appreciate as always the help you are giving us to get
    the best results we can building relationships with our Doctor.
    Maybe what they need is a lie detector test just kidding it is serious I know
    that so don't take me wrong. Just so trying watch what you say, watch what
    you do, follow the rules on and on. Sure all for a good outcome we can only hope
    but exhausting.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    edited 02/22/2014 - 4:28 PM
    this has nothing to do about forum rules, it has to deal with the interactions between members and members. Thats it, nothing more

I am sorry if you feel that some of the things we do here appear to be like the moderator team puts the members under a police investigation., That is the furthest thing from what we try to do.

We try to help members make the most of their posts. If we realize from past experiences that certain phrases or styles are not going to work here or not get many responses, we owe it to our member community to explain all of this

This thread was set out to help members, not to make it seem like we are reading every word. After all, if a member wants to use certain phrases that will result in no responses, why should we worry? Think about that... The thing is we do worry about that
  • I think the initial post is a perfect representation of how to get the most out of a visit with your Doctor.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • The way you approach people or PC Doctors is important and you made some valuable statements.
    I was brought up to treat people with respect no matter who they are and to try to work things out the
    right way to get results. I was not referencing this Forum about rules I was referring to some in the Pain Clinics and
    the medical field. I show respect etc. to every one but it is wrong for so many in pain
    to have to watch every word they say and believe me a lot of us do when it comes to PC or other medical personnel.
    I really feel like this web-site is critical to
    support those with pain but also I feel strongly that we all can try to make Humor which I failed at here and also we
    have a right to our opinion. I think due to the way I have been treated, people I care about and all the research I
    have done I need to stay away from the subjects regarding Pain Clinic Doctor's period.
    What I said was nothing to do with this Forum believe it or not, you took what I said wrong. That once again was
    my failure at communication.
    Wow have a great day and take care.