Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bed Rails???

I'm having a lumbar spinal fusion next week and looking for advice on what I should have at home to help me get in and out of my bed?

If you used a bed rail, where did you get one and was there a certain brand that you liked?

Thank you!
sarah
advertisement

Comments

• i kept a walker next to my bed. i would use that to get some leverage to get up. actually even once i didn't need it to walk around anymore, i kept it next to my bed for months, just because it gave me something to pull up on when i wanted to get out of bed.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • I didn't have any issues getting out of bed once I got home. Your PT in the hospital will show you the proper way to do it. I only needed help in the hospital for 2 days getting in and out then I was able to do it on my own without having to hold onto anything.
    10/28/13 - ALIF, PSF, decompression at L4/L5 and L5/S1
  • PT will show you how properly get in and out of bed. You shouldn't need bed rails at all at home. I slept in the recliner the first few days at home after my fusions.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • RubyTuesdayRRubyTuesday Posts: 195
    edited 02/19/2014 - 7:51 AM
    I didn't buy bed rails after my lumbar fusion. Just got out of bed the way they taught me...the log roll.

Good luck!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • thank you so much for the advice! i remember the "log roll" from my 2 discectomy surgeries. i'll stick with that:)

sarah
  • I used the walker next to the bed too, I have a high bed and that extra help really worked. I only used it for the first week coming home
    Herniated discs & DDD at L4-L5 and L5-S1; ALIF L4-L5 & L5-S1 on 1/10/2014;
advertisement