Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I haven't seen any recent entries regarding Topamax for chronic pain. I am dealing with allover pain right now; neck, jaw, shoulders, thoracic and lumbar spine, elbows, etc., etc. Most recently I had my 7th rhizotomy (L4/L5 and L5/S1, bilaterally), which has not given me the relief I usually get, and has, in fact, exacerbated my low back pain and nerve symptoms.

I have increased my Gabapentin (neurontin) and Baclofen, and am currently on the max dose of Aleve, but am getting no relief at all from this. I am expecting my first grandchild to arrive in 11 days, and am feeling sick at the thought of not being able to hold her.... :W :-W:waiting:

Topamax was brought up by my GP a couple of weeks ago; can anyone give me their opinion??

Thanks so much.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,835
    How is the snow up there? We complain with about 18", thats probably just a dusting for you guys. Hope that family is doing well, I do keep up with you on Facebook.

I have not had Topamax, I know a few people here that have taken it and like it better than Neurontin or Lyrica.
    My physiatrist though prefers Neurontin over all the nerve medications. She believes it has the least amount of negative impacts and the most positive. Plus, you have a wide range of dosage you can take depending on whats going on.

I wish I had more about Topamax....

Tracy Lynne,

Take care, I wish you weren't hurting as much as you are right now. Hopefully its just a short lived flare up.
    My best to you and your family

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
    edited 02/19/2014 - 6:15 AM
    Doing okay, despite the flare-up! :wink:" alt=":wink:" height="20" /> Winter has finally arrived here in the north, so the skiers are happy! Very excited about the upcoming arrival of our first grandchild and another wedding. Very busy in our family these days!

I've definitely read mixed reviews about Topamax, but I always like to get info 'from the horse's mouth'.

Take care, Ron - hope things are as well as can be expected for you.

• I was on topamax a few times. It works but the one thing that I found with it is that it needs to be titrated up and down in dose slowly.......don't stop it suddenly and only adjust the dosage under the instructions of your doctor.
    It worked pretty well at managing the nerve pain, but eventually I went to Lyrica .
    The worst side effect for me was that it literally killed off my appetite, which wasn't a bad thing at first, but I just couldn't manage to eat while on it.
  • TracyLynneTTracyLynne Posts: 598
    edited 02/19/2014 - 10:26 AM
    I appreciate your input. I tried Lyrica, but it wasn't for me; too many side effects, and HORRIBLE nightmares, which really messed up my sleep. I've been dealing with this low back stuff for a lot of years, so Topamax is one of the few things I have NOT tried yet. I was aware that it suppresses the appetite; at this point, I'd be willing to try it to see if I get relief from it at all.

Thanks again.

• starrrsstarrr Posts: 31
    edited 10/11/2014 - 7:37 AM
    I was taking Topamax for a few years, the doctor said it could help with weight loss. I lost almost 100lbs while taking it, which was awesome! As for chronic pain it definitely did not help with my back or other joints even, but it did help greatly with migraines. This was just my experience though. Good luck!