Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cirrculation Problem

Hope3HHope3 Posts: 751
I hope this is in the right Forum I looked but could not find anything.
I have bad circulation in my lower legs and ankles it becomes painful.
I want to purchase one of those machines you set on the floor and
put your feet, legs, ankles in.
Have any of you had or have this problem, have you bought one of
these any suggestions?
I also were compression socking's to try to help it but it seems to
be a loosing battle.
So great to be part of this Web-site I am learning a lot and hope I
can help others.
Have a sunshine day even though I know it is hard.

• A lot of people say that they have a circulation problem, when it has not been fully diagnosed. For example, swelling of the ankles, and oedema( uk) or edema in the lower legs, can be symptoms of venous deficiency only, where the valves in the leg, that return the blood to the heart via the veins in the legs, are not working as well as they should. For there to be arterial problems, then the pulses are usually checked in the feet. Doppler tests are used. If there are arterial problems then surgery is usually considered. If there are venous problems, then compression stockings, and exercises are usually beneficial. For the valves to work better, then the calf muscles need to be used more frequently. So if you are sitting in a chair watching TV, then pull your toes upwards frequently,mand if you put your hand on the calf while you do thus, then you will feel the muscle work. That pulls the blood upward from the feet to the first valve and successively through the other valves, until it reaches the point where it is taken up to the heart. My explanation is very simplistic, but you will get the idea. If you stretch out on a flat surface with the legs higher than the heart, then you will speed up the process. The higher the better if your legs are badly swollen. Any leg exercise that clenches the calf muscle is good. Walking, cycling, pedal machines, plus the one I have mentioned. Just don't sit immobile with your legs hanging down. Don't stand in line or to do kitchen tasks etc, for very long. If you stand at a sink then push up onto your toes and stretch your legs. Just keep active. Fluid pressure against the leg nerves causes a lot of pain. Overweight legs also pressurises the leg nerves, so I am fully sympathetic.
    I have had both spinal and knee surgery and the peroneal or fibula nerve is my main enemy now. My right leg is swollen and the fluid pressure on the nerve is making life difficult. Problems with the peroneal nerve come from L5 in my lower spine, and despite reasonably successful hybrid spinal fusion from L4 to S1, two and a half years ago, I have started with the same pains again after right knee replacement surgery five months ago, when my leg swelled to four times it's size and became rock like. The pressure on the nerve caused it to jerk uncontrollably each time after a violent shooting pain down my leg every few seconds. But, as the swelling reduced with exercise and elevation, so did the pain and spasms. It took 3 months of inhuman misery before sheer determination got myself on the mend, but the peroneal nerve may never recover now, so I have to move the fluid, and lose weight to live better.
    Please get yourself properly diagnosed, then see a physiotherapist (uk) or a physical therapist (us) and get their advice on equipment. Don't use anything until it is safe to use it for your condition.
  • I am so so sorry I have not responded back to you to say thank you and I learned so so much.
    Currently wear compression stockings do you know how tight they are supposed to fit?
    I also have kind of a darker skin color mid café down to my ankles that has me concerned.
    I bought one of those expensive machines you put your feet, legs in and it massages you.
    Hoping that will help or I wasted so much money. I spent my whole life on my feet and due to my
    back and stomach problems I spend very little time sitting. But I will do those exercises you
    suggested. Really sorry you are going through what you are dang I wish I could help others
    but this is the only way.
    I wish you the very best of everything and hope you have some sunshine today.
    PS Do you find it hard to remember and find all the messages and stuff on here I do but then I am getting old.
    I always worry about not thanking people or forgetting that I wrote them.
  • Remy-ukRRemy-uk Posts: 2
    edited 03/07/2014 - 10:34 AM
    Hi Hope3,
    I haven't replied sooner because I have been busy with a lot of paperwork and if I leave it for another subject, then I lose track.
    Anyway, that's one job finished. In England , the end of March is the end of the financial year, and that means getting things straight. I am going to have surgery on 28th March for a replacement left knee. I had the right one done last September.

I was prescribed compression stockings at a clinic that my doctor sent me to for Doppler tests on my circulation.
    I too have acquired different leg colouring for a few inches above the ankles. Mine are coloured pink/red. The curious thing is that no one else seems able to see it. That is weird, because I photographed it, and there is a clear change of colour.
    The nurse who gave me the stockings measured around my legs to determine the stocking size, so I assume that the stockings are designed to give everyone the same degree of compression once the correct leg size is provided. Otherwise, I am really no expert on what that compression is required to be.

After my last knee surgery, I started with a size C compression Stocking, but my leg swelled by a massive amount and the operated leg stocking had to be changed to a size E. The other leg remained in the size C stocking.
    These were white post surgery stockings though, and unlike the regular ones for domestic use.
    We have had a few sunny days here recently, although today a cold wind was blowing. Next week, we are promised warm sunny Spring days. So thanks for your good wishes.

I do find it difficult to track down a particular thread, but the search bar is quite useful. I am getting old too, but then your brains filing system has more in it than that of a young person so tracking things is easier for them.

I hope that your machine does some good, and proves worth the cost, but never give in. Keep in touch if you need too. I will answer when I can.
    I hope that you have some sunshine too,

Best Regards, and Good luck.