Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pedicle screws .....to remove or not?

Is it possible that I'm allergic to the pedicle screws/hardware in my back? Have any of you ever heard of this? I now have been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. I broke my back years ago. Have had Herrington rods, now two sets of pedicle screws, had a failed fusion, bone taken from both hips. I've had multiple bladder infections, accidents, pneumonia several times, pleurisy twice, fatigue, weakness, muscles loss, severe thigh cramps, sciatica on both sides, my toes go numb on left foot, am having difficulty holding my arms up, joint pain and swelling in fingers. And more. I've had 4 back surgeries to date. My last one was 8 yrs ago. That surgeon left a pedicle screw visibly sticking out of my back.

Has anyone else had their hardware removed? Finding a surgeon to take on my last surgery was extremely hard. The last op was so painful I swore I'd never do it again. Never say never I guess.
advertisement

Comments

• ChuckRoastChuckRoast Posts: 37
    edited 10/06/2014 - 3:46 AM
    Intuitive too said:
    Is it possible that I'm allergic to the pedicle screws/hardware in my back? Have any of you ever heard of this? I now have been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. I broke my back years ago. Have had Herrington rods, now two sets of pedicle screws, had a failed fusion, bone taken from both hips. I've had multiple bladder infections, accidents, pneumonia several times, pleurisy twice, fatigue, weakness, muscles loss, severe thigh cramps, sciatica on both sides, my toes go numb on left foot, am having difficulty holding my arms up, joint pain and swelling in fingers. And more. I've had 4 back surgeries to date. My last one was 8 yrs ago. That surgeon left a pedicle screw visibly sticking out of my back.

Has anyone else had their hardware removed? Finding a surgeon to take on my last surgery was extremely hard. The last op was so painful I swore I'd never do it again. Never say never I guess.
    4% of patients are allergic to titanium. Did your surgeon tell you that? EDITED http://www.melisa.org/metals-disease/metals/titanium

Like all metals, titanium releases particles through corrosion. These metals become ions in the body and bind to body proteins. For those who react, the body’s immune system will attack this structure. This starts a chain reaction which can lead to many symptoms including chronic fatigue syndrome. The MELISA test is the only scientifically-proven test which can objectively diagnose titanium allergy and measure its severity.

Those who test positive are advised to avoid exposure if possible. This may include switching to titanium-free creams and cosmetics or, in some cases, considering the removal of a titanium implant.

The spine industry could electroplate with gold but they won't. Metals corrode. Gold is not dangerous. Titanium is.
    EDITED

Post edited to remove inappropriate comment
  • I've had constant problems with neck pain since my C1-C2 fusion.....My doctor pretty much thinks I'm crazy. Last week he told me that I need to "be more positive" and "deny" that I have pain. This will make me feel better! I am a very positive person, but the constant pain wears me down.
    So this post got me wondering if I may be allergic to the pedicle screws and posts that are in my neck. I know that I am sensitive to most metals except 18-24K gold. I'm not sure about platinum, but silver, nickel, and the other ones are out. I cannot wear earrings.
    Since my doctor thinks I'm crazy, I doubt he would test me for titanium allergy....is there a way to do it on my own? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Monica
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 10/06/2014 - 3:47 AM
    All medical testing needs to be ordered by a physician. You could talk to your primary and see if he will order the testing for you.
  • Sandi,
    My primary care physician thinks I have a 'psychosomatic disorder' now because my pain won't go away. Last week he told me that I need to be "more positive" and "deny" the pain. Then I will be cured! Ugh......
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • You can ask your surgeon or your pm doctor about the testing. I believe the blood has to be drawn at a lab and sent for the testing to be done, so if your primary won't order it, do you have another doctor who might?
  • Pamela9PPamela9 WashingtonPosts: 42
    achyneck said:
    I've had constant problems with neck pain since my C1-C2 fusion.....My doctor pretty much thinks I'm crazy. Last week he told me that I need to "be more positive" and "deny" that I have pain. This will make me feel better! I am a very positive person, but the constant pain wears me down.
    So this post got me wondering if I may be allergic to the pedicle screws and posts that are in my neck. I know that I am sensitive to most metals except 18-24K gold. I'm not sure about platinum, but silver, nickel, and the other ones are out. I cannot wear earrings.
    Since my doctor thinks I'm crazy, I doubt he would test me for titanium allergy....is there a way to do it on my own? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Monica
    Monica,
    I sent you a PM with the links to private testing.
    Pam
  • Sandi,
    I have another doctor that might order the testing. I don't have insurance, so it will be out of pocket, but I have to figure out why my neck is still killing me.....
    Pamela9,
    I don't see where either lab does titanium allergy testing.
    Monica
  • My sister had to have her titanium hardware removed after infection from allergy almost paralyzed her. I am very allergic to metal myself, my orthodontic braces had to be removed a month after they were put in! My fusion next week will be done without metal for that reason.

So sorry you're having trouble, but I would certainly look into this possibility!
    17 years avoiding surgery, now it's unavoidable. Scared beyond belief.
  • How did your fusion and recovery go Momahoward?
    Hoping you are feeling great by now!!
advertisement