Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why Is There Tylenol In Vicodin?

Vidodin is used for treatment of chronic pain. Long term use of Tylenol causes liver damage.

What's wrong with this picture?
advertisement

Comments

• mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 02/21/2014 - 4:50 PM
    Vicodin is used for chronic pain, but more often it is used for acute pain. The Tylenol in it makes it more effective and acts as a deterrent to people abusing it.

Long-term use of Tylenol may cause liver damage, but my understanding is that if you take it as prescribed, the risk of that occurring is low.

There is a new medication called Zohydro ER, which is an extended release form of hydrocodone, the opioid ingredient in Vicodin. It does not contain Tylenol and may be more suitable for chronic pain.
  • mcjimjam said:
    Vicodin is used for chronic pain, but more often it is used for acute pain. The Tylenol in it makes it more effective and acts as a deterrent to people abusing it.

Long-term use of Tylenol may cause liver damage, but my understanding is that if you take it as prescribed, the risk of that occurring is low.

There is a new medication called Zohydro ER, which is an extended release form of hydrocodone, the opioid ingredient in Vicodin. It does not contain Tylenol and may be more suitable for chronic pain.
    Thanks.

I would take more Vicodin but I avoid it because of the Tylenol and only take it when I am desperate.

As to tylenol I know that they put less in it now than they used to do to the dangers. My brother is a pain patient and the have him on Vicodin and Oxy. I worry about him.
  • Chuck it's great to worry about your brother but if he is a long term pain patient he will know what he is taking and why he needs to take it. The worst thing you can do is to make him feel guilty because of his meds. I know you probably don't do that - I see you've been researching and research is great. When I have constant debilitating pain I would honestly do just about anything to make the pain stop, even for a couple of hours or minutes .

Constant pain is so wearing it changes your personality as each day can be a struggle and when you are in constant pain it's difficult to be the old good fun person that you were once.

Sandi has written a guide with the steps one has to go through when dealing with spine pain.

Most people who end up on opioids need them to function and usually no matter how strong your dose is there is still underlying pain. Your brother probably puts on a brave face to the world but you don't get to the stage of having to take strong medications until you have been through every other process - strong opioids are the end of the road after every other treatment has failed.

There is a thread called 'How can I help my loved one' on this site.

A lot of long term people with intractable pain have written how you can help them. If you type it in on the search engine at the top of the page it should come up.

No-one else can feel your brother's pain but there are many things you can do to help him out. Don't give up on him, he needs your support and empathy. It's not a great path in life to be given constant pain.

It is great your are doing your own research , I think we all end up here because of trying to find an answer or help from other people on the site.

Maybe you could show your brother the site as well as I think blogging is good if you have spine pain - it can be very isolating and by talking to other people you don't know - all brother in arms - does not make you feel so isolated and alone,
  • Norco is the same as Vicodin with half the amount of Tylenol.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • New recommendations on maximum daily amounts of acetaminophen came out recently. If you stick to those guidelines and are paying attention to what you're putting into your body, you should be fine. I read labels on every pill I take or food I eat. Always know the active ingredients in the pills you're taking and read the side effects in the pharmacy pamphlet. Be aware.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • like any other medication can be misused or someone can take too much of it by not reading the instructions on the bottles of any medication that they take.
    The controversy over the overuse of tylenol came about because like any medication, you have to be aware of what is in the medications you are taking- including over the counter ones. People were taking large amounts of tylenol , whether in over the counter medications, and then also in the prescriptions , which also contained large amounts of tylenol and wound up damaging their livers....
    For those of us, who are taking a pain medication that combines an opiate and acetominophen/tylenol, we need to be especially aware of using over the counter cold remedies, or headache remedies or taking additional tylenol on top of regularly using the prescribed medication.
    In an effort to make sure that people were aware of the dangers, doses of tylenol were cut in prescribed medications and there are ads posted on television , on over the counter medications , and in magazines about the dangers of tylenol overuse.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    is for shorter term pain or acute pain vs chronic pain

Most people initially start on the Vicodin type of medications (with acetaminophen0. The intent here is to get people pass their problem, so that they can continue pain free and without the need for additional pain medications.

When patients do not respond to this type of treatment and/or the condition worsens, doctors will tend to switch over to other pain medications that do not have acetaminophen. Anyone living in chronic pain will have those types of pain medications.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement