Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Collapsed L-5 after surgery, now what?

Good morning,
I have read all the posts here and find I have a question. Have any of you had surgery which have left you with more pain than when you started all the procedure steps as outlined on this thread? I have had two surgeries one in February 2013 and the other to remove hardware and two loose screws on August 2013.

My story is short. I have and I am in more pain than I could ever imagine. I have permanent nerve damage which causes leg pain at night as well as all day long. I can hardly walk correctly. I have cold feet that feel cold to the touch, and a feel of burning at the same time. ( So my mind tells me). You will only understand what I am saying if you are experiencing this sensation.

To top it off I have no insurance as my employer put me on long term disability, then the insurance company requested SSDI and won within a two week period after submitting my claim. I felt this was unreal as the time frame for Social Security to make a decision usually takes much more time than this. I am 62 so I am not eligible for Medicaid or Medicare until two years after the award.

I have seen my surgeon and have advised him of no insurance and he continues to tell me I need a stimulator. I have researched this option and the cost is very high. I have a friend that has gone this route after her surgery also failed and the stimulator is not working correctly and she is having it removed. This is not a good option for her.

There has to be a way of ridding ourselves of this nerve pain. Gabapentin / Neurontin did work for a while but is not doing the job now after taking 2800 mg per day. Also Lyrica 300 mg did work for a short period as well, then stopped working.

With all this being said, does anyone have a solution or are those of us with failed surgery's doomed for a life of pain?

Thanks for reading and I wish you all the best life has to offer.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 02/23/2014 - 1:44 PM
    Gabapentin can be dosed up to 3600 mg per day and Lyrica can be dosed at doses up to 600 mg per day to treat neuropathic related pain. Topamax is another medication commonly used to treat neuro pain and some of the antidepressants used to treat depression work very well at treating neuropathic pain.
    As far as pain increasing after surgery, yes, it does occur and often enough that surgeons don't offer pain relief as a reason /basis for performing surgery. In fact, surgeons regularly tell their patients that pain relief is not a reason to undergo surgery....and that pain can likely increase substantially.
    Neuropathic pain can continue to improve however, depending on the extent of the damage, and how much of the nerve is damaged, as well as the location of the damage determines how long it can take for the nerve pain to improve.
  • HayBrendaDeSHHayBrendaDeS Posts: 7
    edited 02/23/2014 - 6:24 PM
    Sorry to hear your having all these problems after your surgery.

Regarding the SSDI...they are good at denying claims. You may want to consult an attorney for advice regarding everything you posted. The first consultations are usually free. Make sure you have all your medical papers,reports, tests, surgeries etc & all the SSDI paper work, & the insurance letters.