Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dehydrated Disc/Bulging Disc

I was struck down with excruciating pain 2 months ago, where a doctor and physio diagnosed the condition as a 'disc slip'.
I after some physio works, I feel a lot better and practically have no pain. In fact, the only pain I am currently experiencing is muscle pain on my higher back due to the exercises and physio work.

Although the physio did not recommend a MRI, I did have one.
The MRI was examined by an Orthopaedic surgeon. He just looked at it an explained that I will be fine, and must go back to physio...
The physio also examined the MRI and noted the same.

The MRI explained that I have a dehydrated (dark) and slightly narrowed disc S1 L5 with a disc bulge (not on then nerve). I had the MRI a couple of weeks after extensive physio work.

Now, when I do research in the internet, I see the MRI results are not as trivial as my doctors seem to make of it.
I get the impression that:
1) The S1 L5 disc will narrow more. (The physio told me it won't and it was caught 'early')
2) That I will eventually have more flare ups with the disc.
3) Most possibly in the future I will have surgery at S1 L5.
4) The disc bulge will not go away, (The physio told me it will)

According the rest of my back is in great shape. I feel great now, but something tells me that I will have to start to prepare for the future...

And ideas?

• Hi , Its great that you are feeling better

Im not an expert but.....

You dont say what age you are , Disc desiccation is more common the older we get and it is not the end of the world, I think it does make it more likely that disc will play up,
    Adequate hydration and nutrition may help slow the decline of the disc

At this stage you are pain free and can do your daily activities,

If you look after your self you should never need surgery

If you have a physically strenuous / or excessively sedentary job you may have to make an effort to get your body prepared for this, and try to fit in stretching into your daily routine

I suggest you look at doing an exercise regime like pilates to work on core muscles (not abs, but postural muscles that protect the spine)

also it it might be an idea to look at activities that might put a strain on you back,
    be conscious of your movements - moving in such a way that avoids unnecessary strain - even for simple activities
    (bending correctly, avoid twisting , etc)

you have responded well to the PT,

enjoy life,

• If you feel great and the doctors say you don't have anything to worry about, why worry?

One can have abnormalities in the spine without it necessarily causing problems.