Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exercising after l4/l5 discectomy/laminectomy

Hello everyone,

I had surgery on my l4/l5 disc a little bit over 2 months ago. As of right now the doctor has me on a limit of 10lbs when picking anything up, and the only type of exercise that is available to me is walking. He stated that within 1 month I can start swimming and 2 I can start up physical therapy again. This seemed kind of slow, but I was wondering what the timeline for other people were.

I am 20 so I am relatively young, and I feel great. I have some minor pain from the nerve, but have been told that this is most likely permanent. I use to do a lot of weight lifting and exercising in general. I was wondering if anyone had tips in regards to their timeline, or exercises that I should start up when possible. As of right now I have thought of swimming and cycling. But I wanted to know when I will be able to get back to bench pressing and light weight lifting. Some people have told me that it usually takes 6 months after surgery to start lifting again, and even more for deadlifts and squats. Any experiences that you guys can share?

• what he has given you now, is when you can return or resume those other activities. The reason you feel great now is that the surgeon did his part, he repaired or removed the problem, now you need to do yours, and follow his instructions to the letter or you could find yourself as another one who did too much, too soon, and wound up facing a redo of your surgery or worse yet, in more pain than you can imagine and no recourse to address it.
    The surgeon can fix the mechanical issue, but the patient needs to do their part of it, and listen to the post op restrictions and instructions. They are there for a reason. Spine surgery is not like any other surgery out there, and if you don't follow the instructions of your doctor, you can and often will wind up in far worse shape than you were before you had surgery....