Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Video Games

Does anyone else use video games to distract them from the pain? I discovered this benefit accidentally. It really works well for me. Immersive action type games are best. I have an original Xbox and usually play Halo. I saw on the news that they are using video games to help with pain relief in some hospitals now.

• Yes! Great idea! I think that anything you can obsess on other than your pain is a fantastic idea. I have many hobbies & interests for that reason. I'm not a computer girl but my husband is a super geek..I know all about Halo..very absorbing ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • From every city. My hubby HATES them & doesn't understand why I would watch such garbage, but I find it amusing & it doesn't take a lot of concentration, I actually watch a lot of tv, & have always used it for pain control.

My son who is suffering from chronic foot pain plays on his iPod, or will come & watch tv with me, I record a bunch of shows we both like.

As far as video games, unless it was Ms Pacman, Cenipide, or Donkey Kong, forget it! Can you guess my age? :)

Glad you found something to distract you, whatever works!
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    edited 03/28/2014 - 7:12 AM
    to really get into Video games.

However, I have found that logging into Spine-Health and responding to other members questions helps me so much. It takes my mind of my own issues for a while.

So, I now have to figure out how to put Spine-Health into an X-Box
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I use them when I can sit for awhile, really enjoy the PC BigFish games. I like the Nancy Drew
    games, pretty boring for those who use the high pace stuff. My Grandson spends way too
    much time in front of his machine. He also has a lot of the other electronic stuff but it is beyond
    my skill level.
    But I do agree games are great and I spend a lot of time looking up other countries, medical stuff,
    Discovery on and on. It is a great tool to distract the brain.
  • LeeLeeMccDeeLLeeLeeMccDee Boston MAPosts: 101
    I find any type of video games, puzzles like crosswords, soduku etc are an excellent way to pass the time and take you mind off of your pain. Of course there are some days that I am so uncomfortable nothing works and I know you know what I mean. It is also a great way keep our brain cells healthy. Medical professionals say that anything you learn to do like puzzles, reading, listening to music generates healthy brain cells. So we can all think of it as brain aerobics! Which ones are your favorites? I love word games, trivia games, puzzle games and I also love to read but it makes me sleepy most times.
  • Reading/Research on my I pad while listening to music is a perfect combo for me. Movies is another one and it's something I can do with my kids. MSG I'm with you as far as games go. My sister still has a Super Nintendo :)
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014