Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm quite new here and I'm sure this topic has come up in the past. If you happen to remember a post that was helpful on the topic of headaches, I'm happy to follow any links to the posts if provided. I assume it's a common topic in this thread.

I have issues with my spine throughout but the worst of my problems is with my cervical spine. My neck and shoulder muscles are almost always rock solid with tension which eventually crawls down my shoulders and wraps around my torso. The worst pain from the cervical spine comes in the form of blistering headaches. I end up in such pain I start to vomit and they act like migraines or cluster headaches - driving pain through the head, behind my eyes and wrapped around in a band that goes behind my ears and under my chin.

Icing my neck while taking Advil along with my Targin and several cyclobenzaprine I can force the pain down some but it never goes away completely.

Any advice out there on managing headaches? It is the one pain I can't seem to deal with (that and sciatic pain...that is just the worst!). I'm open to medications, alternative therapies and herbal meds, if anyone has suggestions.

I have tried chiropractic and massage therapy but they made it worse somehow. Any and all thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    edited 02/25/2014 - 6:17 AM
    Most of the time, when I start with a headache, its the type that light noise and motion bother a lot. I take the standard advil or aleve for that.
    When it last for more than a couple of days, all I need to do is look back before the headache started to see what I was doing.

Right now, I am in the 6th day of that type of headache. It was brought on by my cervical flare up, In addition, since both of my shoulders have been completely replaced they go hand and hant Last week, I was spending a lot of time outside shooting hot water up and down my roof to break up some ice dams and snow. Then I did a little roof snow removal using my snow rake. Even though my neck is not bothering me, just those actions affected it enough to start the headache cycle.

What do I do to try to relax my cervical and shoulder areas and eliminate my headaches. First, of course is to stop those things! But I have found relaxation therapy to be the best. Heat helps while its on and for a while, but nothing helps better than to get into a deep relaxed frame of mind via music and aroma therapy. I do that for a couple of days, maybe twice a day and definitely at night in the dark and things do improve.

I find that in these situations, western medicine only masks the problem, but using eastern medicine techniques seem to resolve the issue (for the time being)

Good luck wit this. I know that headaches can easily start a cycle that is so hard to get out of......
    Hoping you for some relief soon.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com