Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdisctomy in September, woke up this morning can't walk

Anyone else? Just had an MRI and from looking at it It looks like the same disc is herniated again?!?! I have severe leg and lower back pain and I'm very discouraged by this.

Can anyone share their experiences with a relapse after doing so good for almost 7 months now!! Another surgery? Did it heal on it's own without surgery??

Any insight or stories would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you,

• Unfortunately, yes it can happen, and does seem to occur relatively often. I'm not sure why but it can be simply that the disc is weakened too much and the right movement at the wrong time can cause it to reherniate.
    When are you going to make an appointment to see your surgeon to find out for sure , and what he recommends?
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 02/26/2014 - 4:04 AM
    Hi Courtney,

Reherniations are always a possibility with micro-d's as the damaged disc is left in place, and only the protruding disc material is removed. The operation does not address the remaining disc and so you are always going to be at risk of another herniation.

There are several people here who've had multiple micro-d's, and then when they had their third reherniation, have opted for a fusion or artificial disc replacement to remove the bad disc entirely.

You definitely should get a follow up MRI to see how badly you are herniated this time and make a plan with your physician. Hopefully, together you'll find a way to get back to a good place again.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • With a nucleoplasty the annulus stays intact and a small amount of the nucleus is removed. They data says they are very effective. Weakening an already weak annulus seems counter productive. Only in America!
  • I had a bad experience with a discectomy/laminectomy. I had two weeks of no leg pain and then wham, I was a mess and eventually had a fusion. My current neurosurgeon said that discectomy was the wrong operation for spondylolisthesis. I felt so totally different after the fusion and now after 4 years, I'm still doing well. I still have pain but in other levels and nothing like what I had before. I can do pretty much what I want, just have to be careful.

Don't be too discouraged - talk to your neurosurgeon and see what he suggests.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I had one in Nov '13 and another in Dec '13

I'm still hurting and dread i've yet again reherniated. I am going to a consult with a new dr for another opinion...and even see if my present dr screwed anything up.

The pain is unbareable, and im so tired of it!

I hope you find some relief yourself!
    L5-S1 Herniation. 1st MIrcrodiscectomy 11/9/13. 2nd Microdiscectomy 12/19/13
  • PaulPPaul Posts: 730
    edited 02/27/2014 - 3:26 PM
    May I ask what caused the original injury? Was the disc torn? If so, was it graded?
    What caused the latest episode?
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Thanks for all of your comments. The original injury I have no idea - I went from being an active 35 year old mom of a 3 year old to waking up one morning unable to walk (much like it happened again here.) I did have a lot of back problems in the last few months of my pregnancy and even for a month or so after that but it went away.

I had my first MRI on wednesday and results came back "inconclusive" so I'm waiting on an authorization from my insurance company so that I can get one with contrast.

I'd do anything to get rid of this leg pain at this point. I was doing so well after the surgery for almost 6 months and now this.... so discouraging...really hoping it's something that can be easily fixed.