Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Recovery 12 Days After Surgery

Hi All,

I am 12 Days post op for ACDF for ruptured C5/C6 and C6/C7 and compressed nerve root at C6 and C7. Had my follow up visit at 10 days. He took the glue off and stitches out. Said all looked good and showed me the x-ray which I have uploaded as my profile picture. Said nothing about PT and wanted to see me back in 6 months. I went back to work 5 days after surgery. Never was given a hard collar. Only wore the soft collar for 24 hours. I have good days and not so good days. While reading some of the post I feel like my surgery and recovery might have gone a little too fast... I am 31, had never had surgery or had to take a narcotic painkiller until this issue and surgery 12 days ago... I have slowed down a little but not as much as others... The main "issue" I have now is before I was only having pain/numbness/burning/spasms in my left arm/shoulder/neck and head... Now it is in the right side too and there is a burning pain that I had never experienced until after surgery. But... the biggest issue is that every morning I feel like during my sleep someone replaced the muscles in my neck, upper back, shoulders and top of arms to my elbows with concrete.. Has anyone else felt this way 12 days out??? And is there anyone else out there that had these type of "quick return back to normal life" events?

• I don't know how you could be working.i consider mySelf a tuff BASTARD.and today is exactly 8 days since operation.
    I has 3 levels replaced along w/all the other bullshit.
    I am fighting to make it through the day.i was trying to cut down on pain meds ,but even that ain't happening.
    Last night I woke up mid of night suffering ,shoulders,back of neck and throat.
    Also I was directed to wear hard collar accept to sleep and at that x,I wear a soft collar.
    So I hope I helped.this is only my first or second x with a reply,but I saw no one answered you so I gave it a shot.
    You will know the true benefits of life,by helping someone who can never repay you!
  • I'm surprised your Dr. Cleared you to return to work so soon, you need time to heal. I would call your Dr and let him know what's going on.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • Thanks for the replies... doing good still just not exactly my normal self yet... I asked my doctor and he said I was good to go at 5 days... so many doctors... so many different options... and so many different patient circumstances. I had "nothing" else wrong but the 2 disc rupture and had not been in pain too long before surgery. I did ask the dr. about the 5 days and he said if I could make it I could do it. .. he saw me at 10 days which is after I had already returned to work... so the only I thing now is that I seem to get more tired than I have ever gotten in my life after about 1 or 2 o'clock each day, sometimes I move my neck and do not realize that I shouldn't have moved it that way until a sharp electric type pain runs down my spine, I am real sore most mornings upon waking up, my voice is still pretty raspy and then last but not least I think everybody thought I was better so quickly because of my actions that now I'm kind of afraid to tell everyone I might have gone a little too fast and I think now I need to slow it down... other than that better each day to some degree... and hope it continues this way!