Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test


Hi ... Post op day six and I am home in my own bed happy after an hour of sleep and a happy dog at my feet. Couple of things: getting and out of the car is a bit challenging even with a rotating cushion to help and every bump made me wince.
Two - big shock at first .. I have come home with anticoagulant injections to do myself for six weeks! I have bruised very badly. Though the colour is changing to red from black and blue already. For somebody who freaks out at the sight of a needle, I did it first time this morning in the hospital with the nurse next to me and it was ok, really ok!
Yesterday I had a really tough day with all sorts of different aches and pains and total exhaustion which at least meant I also slept a lot. Sleep is my new best friend and I can see I should not try and resist it. Lots of painkillers to take pretty much as in hospital and I am going to keep a diary so I can see where and when I can reduce them. I can see how it would be a problem coming off them if I take them more than I need to. Still, don't want pain to build up either. Last thing is when I sleep, after an hour or two, I wake up in pain from the pressure of being on one position ... Find sleeping on my back easier than on my sides, and I haven't slept on my back for years!
Will update in a few days and please keep in touch ... Wishing everybody luck and a pain free days and nights .


  • Glad to hear you are home and recovering! Please keep us updated on your progress. Also what type of surgery did you have?
    alif l4-s1
  • Glad to hear you're home and recovering okay. Did you have the dry mouth from h£'ll? My mouth was so dry I could hardly open it. In recovery and before my first meal, I could only have ice chips. WhAt a relief those were.

    Just a suggestion, but you might want to keep all of your postings together in one thread and call it My Journey or something. It would be easier to follow your posts.

    Take care!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • MaximummyMMaximummy Posts: 77
    edited 02/28/2014 - 9:31 AM
    Hi first full day at home and realizing how many different levels of surface there are, trying to ignore little housework things I just can 't do, being appreciative of my lovely husband who has become a full time carer and looks exhausted. Trying to find a comfortable way to sit ... Not for long anywhere, partly pressure and partly exhaustion. Showering worked well with Michael to help me over the bath sitting on a bath board and a strong mat in the bath to stand on. Would not even try this on my own yet!
    Fell asleep again around 12.30 so slept through lunch until 2.15. Then downstairs trying various chairs and different cushions ... Nothing worked. Try again tomorrow exhausted and got into bed again at 7.00. Supper in bed. This is exactly one week since extensive TLIF so think I am actually doing well, but hard to feel positive when so little creates such exhaustion. Actually most comfortable in bed once I get pillows right. Still not interested in reading or even tv for long.
    Drugs ... Slow release OxyContin morning and night, coproxamol x 2 every four hours, oxcynorm which is a quick acting type of OxyContin as a last resort if nothing else is working .... So far only once in hospital. Last night managed without diazepam. Waking up usually within 2 hours from pressure of lying in one position and headache .. Probably from drugs?
    Is this level of exhaustion reasonable one week from surgery? I am not pushing myself but feel I should walk around the house to mobilise as much as possible. Getting constipation slowly under better control ... Drinking water with a powder in plus dulcolax tablets and lactulose at night.
  • It might be the meds that are making you tired too, but after I had my TLIF, I would fall asleep in my recliner quite often. As you progress, it will get better. Glad you're still doing well!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • Gardens17GGardens17 Posts: 39
    edited 02/28/2014 - 1:40 PM
    The first two weeks after surgery were tough and exhausting. Hard to get comfortable in any way. Be patient, you'll get there... Each day you'll feel a little better
    Herniated discs & DDD at L4-L5 and L5-S1; ALIF L4-L5 & L5-S1 on 1/10/2014;
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.