Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PM for children?

So I have a 10-yr-old son who has severs disease. Basically, the growth plate in his foot has separated/ fractured & is extremely painful. The good news is that once his body catches up to his bones, it will go away, but that could take up to 2 years! Been to 4 docs, had x-Ray & MRI, & all docs say he should not be in this much pain. The usual meds for this are ibuprofen & Tylenol with codeine at night. It's not working, he's not sleeping or eating. & has missed a lot of school. Please, no comments about this being in his head, because I am 100% sure it's not. One night the pain was so bad, we took him to the ER & the gave him 8, yes I said 8 mg of morphine plus 1 mg of Ativan & nothing. That would knock out most non- chronic pain adults, let alone a child. He's never had anything stinger than Tylenol with codeine a few times so there's no way he has built up a tolerance. We are luck that we live near a world renown medical center that has a PM clinic for children. Since his issues are not back related, I know this doesn't exactly fit, but does anyone have any experience with children & chronic pain? You can PM me if you want. Thanks, Susan
We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
advertisement

Comments

• EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 02/28/2014 - 8:28 AM
    I've sent a PM. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • The unfortunate thing is doctors are afraid to prescribe to children and young adults that do suffer from chronic pain--being that they are young and "it shouldn't hurt". I'm 28 years old and have a plethara of issues and although doctors prescribe accordingly to me know after 3 surgeries, I've been told pain pills are a black hole and to stay away. It falls into 2 catagories I feel, 1. If you are truly suffering from pain than dependence on pain pills can happen--but not nessacarly addiction. I feel like those are 2 different things. 2. If you really can deal with the pain and it's uncomfortable than that's a different story. From what it sounds like to me the fact your son isn't eating and he's not sleeping--clearly means he's suffering. How old is he if you don't mind me asking?
    28 F. Chicago. Fusion from t-12 l-4 from scoli in June 2013. Torn bilateral hip labrums. Arthroscopy to fix labrums January 2013 and march 2013. SI pain from hip surgery Lupus, RA, antiphosphidlipid antibody- hypermobility syndrome ( Marfan syndrome)
  • As a mother myself I would be so upset to see my child suffer from pain. I would do whatever it took to get him to see a better doctor that will allow a stronger pain pill when he really is not doing well. Wether if it's just so he can sleep or eat! I couldn't bare to see a child in so much pain it stops them from eating or sleeping.
    28 F. Chicago. Fusion from t-12 l-4 from scoli in June 2013. Torn bilateral hip labrums. Arthroscopy to fix labrums January 2013 and march 2013. SI pain from hip surgery Lupus, RA, antiphosphidlipid antibody- hypermobility syndrome ( Marfan syndrome)
  • He is 10 yrs old, weighs about 130 lbs. I just talked to the District Nurse, & we are meeting with her, the principal & his teacher to see how to best handle his missed work. The nurse also suggested a wheelchair for school, since he is having so much trouble manevuring around school. I've been on hold for over 30 minutes with the insurance company to see what I need to do to make that happen.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
advertisement