Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

laga77llaga77 Posts: 33
edited 03/02/2014 - 5:55 AM in Pain Medications
Has anybody else heard of this? I was at the orthro getting my knee looked at when he offered me this program. They do genetic testing to find out what type of liver you have and then they adjust your medications. They claim that all people fall into one of four different pathways of variable drug metabolism. They are normal, intermediate, poor, and rapid/ultra-rapid. A member of the doctors office took a DNA sample with a swap from the inside of my mouth which will be sent to their lab. After they determine which group I am in, they will adjust my medications by the type and dosage to match my body chemistry. I will get the results in two weeks. A google search did not turn much up except the company`s home page. The doctor said the requirements were to be on at least three medications and be on medicare. We will have to wait two weeks for the results.

The web page is www.renrx.com.

I am sorry for breaking forum rules. This is no way an endorsement or advertisement. I am just looking for information before I have to commit to something.

• This is a really interesting area of research. The way your body metabolizes narcotic medications not only effects how effective they are at controlling pain & how well they are tolerated but also how your body breaks down & deals with the waste not to mention drug interactions.
    Try searching 'pathways of variable drug metabolism Narcotics' on google. Some interesting government reports come up.

Imagine a future in which a simple test can tell our doctors the most effective & least damaging medications to prescribe based on our individual body chemistry! I'm not sure when or if that day will come but facinating!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I really hope this test shows that opiates do not work on me. I got really frustrated and embarrassed when I had to go to my doctors and ask for more/stronger pain medications. I have had 9 surgeries,none on my back, and had to deal with a lot of pain because the medications just did not work. Now with my back problems, I will be on pain meds for the long term since the odds of a successful surgery are very slim. Maybe this will lead to some relief.
  • Fingers crossed for you ;-)
    Read the post by EMS guy today (Sunday) "The value of being honest w/PM". It really worked out great for him.
    Best of luck! Please keep us posted.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.