Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After months of waiting and battling with workman comp I was just given the approval to have my surgery.
(L4-S1 ALIF w/posterior instrumentation). My surgeons office called yesterday and set the date for April 9th. The reality has just set in. I am excited but scared at the same time.

Any advise or words of encouragement would be great!!
alif l4-s1

• Im3uedIIm3ued Posts: 5
    edited 03/01/2014 - 9:58 AM
    You may be in very good hands, and I wish you well.
    However, most spinal fixation is not justified.
    An even larger proportion of these procedures have bad outcomes.
    It may be the case that your surgeon's criteria for accepting you for fixation are not protective enough of YOU.
    I don't know how long you've been suffering, or how long you've been out of work,
    but your enthusiasm about this surgery sounds like misplaced hope of relief.
    May I suggest one or two self-pay consults with out-of-town old physicians?
  • I had a lumbar fusion in December and I'M DOING JUST FINE. And I didn't even consult with an out of town old physician!?! (What's that all about?) Anyway, good luck to you and I hope all of your dreams of feeling good are right around the corner.
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • thank you for your comments. I have actually had two other surgeons give me opinions one being an independent medical examiner hired by workman comp. All three have stated this is the surgery they would perform. My surgeon is the one that recommended me to get other opinions so HE IS PROTECTING ME enough. You are right you have no idea how long I have been suffering or how long I have been out of work, nor do you know anything about me.

When three surgeons all agree I believe it is justified.
    alif l4-s1
  • I appreciate your kind words. Yea I don't know what an out of town old physician means either but it did give me a good laugh!
    alif l4-s1
  • I sent you a PM. I had surgery in October and I'm doing fine. I hope you are feeling ok
    L5 S1 MicroD - August 21, 2013
    L5 S1 Fusion - October 17, 2013
    44 year old