Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm 7 months post op from my L4/L5 PLIF, and I am a very happy, 100% PAIN FREE person. Up to 5 months, I was still having pain and lots of limitations. It seemed like the change came overnight. I'm working again every day, in a very physical job. I'm bending, lifting, and working in unusual postions as a mechanic/welder on heavy equipment and semi trucks. Probably the toughest thing I encounter each day is putting my socks on. I'm not quite as flexible as I once was, but it is getting better. I can't remember far enough back to remember pain free days in my life. I will be 52 yo this month, and a year ago, I felt like I was 70. Today,,, I feel like I'm 35 again. I battled severe depression during the past 7 months, and I really thought the surgery was a failure. Boy.. was I wrong!! I don't see too many really positive posts on here, but I'm happy to be one of them. I appreciate all the help you all have been to me on here.

• Good for you. So glad to hear happy endings. Stay healthly.

• Thanks for coming here to share with others how great you are feeling Mark :-)

It is so helpful to those deciding what to do about their back pain.
    There is an unequal representation of the disappointing and unsuccessful stories on this website because those who are helped tend to be off with their busy lives again.

Great that you came to redress the balance.
    I am so glad that Spine Health members have helped you.

• I am always happy to read about the successes. Jellyhall is right, too often new members only see the negative or not so great outcomes to Spine surgery and treatment and the ones who do improve , which by and large are the greater percentage resume their busy lives
    Good health to you,
  • Great to see good news on here!
  • I have to tell you... I really thought the surgery was a total failure for a while. My surgeon told me I would be back to doing most things in 3 months. Actually, in 3 months I was able to walk 20 minutes at most, and had terrible ankle pain. It scared me to think I was going to continue life as I was then. I was trying to find a way to kill him and make it look like an accident....lol I really was disappointed in it all, but at about 4 months, I woke up one morning and life was totally different. I haven't seen him since my 4 month check up, as his theory is, call me if you need me.. I'm going to be checking in with him to thank him for all he's done, and I am thankful for all the information and concerns here on this site. Thank you all!!!
  • SpinellieSSpinellie Posts: 20
    edited 04/02/2014 - 9:21 AM
    That is totally awesome to hear.
  • Glad to hear your success! It is inspiring. :)
    L4-L5 fused at birth (congenital malformity). L-5-S1 bulge/degeneration, L3-L4 bulge/degeneration. Permanent nerve damage L5-S1 and L3-L4. Fused C5-C7.
  • That is usually how it goes, which is why I tell people that spine surgery recovery is a journey, not a destination......there are lots of days, when we all question whether or not undergoing surgery is the right decision, but then one day, we wake up and find that the new and the old pain has diminished, or changed for the better......
    I'm glad that you posted........and I recall feeling that way about my first surgeon........in fact, I still do........LOL
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Great news Mark, I think most of us have those bouts with depression when we think too much. I've done that with several surgeries, second guessing myself after the fact as I'm not progressing as fast as I would like to. And every single time I just keep getting better, setting, achieving, and maybe even surpassing my goals in recovery.
    Thanks for posting your positive outcome, I do the same as there are many out there that don't hear of them. We need to be here for the ones that are going thru what we have in the past.
  • good news! i am happy for you! :)
    "When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom!? No! It’s when… they are forgotten."
  • Cool dude ! :-) I am so happy for you!!

• That is really great that you are pain free after your op. How are you feeling now? I hope that all is well still. :)