Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had an ESI today and Doctor Gave Some Interesting News

Hi Everyone,
My name is Terri, I'm 24, and I figured that I would reintroduce myself since it's been a while since I've been on. On March 13th, it will be the 3 year anniversary of my back injury. About 6 months ago, I finally got a diagnosis. The doctors diagnosed me with:
1. L5-S1 Bulge
2. Lumbar Radiculopathy (nerve root impingement from disc)
3. Bilateral Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
4. Lumbar Facet Syndrome
Today, I received another diagnosis. I finally (for the first time) got an Epidural Steroid Injection for the bulging disc. As I was sitting in the recovery area getting ready to leave, the doctor came over to me with a bit of surprising news. He told me that he had a problem getting the needle to my disc due to bony growths coming out of the area where he needed to inject. He said that it was most likely an effect of my injury and that it is a sign that arthritis is beginning.
I researched "bony overgrowths on spine" and Spinal Stenosis was in the vast majority of results. Is that what the bony overgrowths are called? Is it relatively normal for someone my age? Are any of these diagnosis relatively normal for someone my age.
It has me a bit concerned that at only 24, this pain may be ongoing. I tried really hard to get a diagnosis when I was first injured, but Worker's Comp was a pain in the you know what, as per their norm.
I'd appreciate if anyone could answer of my questions, it would be incredibly helpful. Thanks so much everyone!

-Terri :)

• Are generally referring to bone spurs that grow on the vertebra and can grow over the space where the disk is.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    bony growths are normally referred to as bone spurs or
    Wikipedia said:

Osteophytes, commonly referred to as bone spurs or parrot beak, are bony projections that form along joint margins
    Spinal stenosis is the narrowing of the spinal canal which can cause a lot of discomfort and pain.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I read the information provided on this website about the bone spurs, and saw that it is quite common in people over 50. The problem is: I'm only 24. Are the osteophytes/bone spurs caused by an injury or just a form of degenerative arthritis?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    can happen much earlier in life. I had a number of bone spurs when I had my first spinal surgery when I was 28. As with many spinal conditions, this can be brought on earlier due to trauma, accidents and other situations.

I would not classify this as a form of degenerative arthritis. Those that do have this arthritis condition may have a number of bone spurs. Prior to my first complete shoulder replacement surgery, the x-rays clearly identified a number of bone spurs that needed to be addressed during the surgery.

When it comes to arthritis, please look at our section devoted to this. Arthritis I would also look at Spine-Health's sister medical site, Trusted Information for Arthritis Relief Osteoarthritis is a nasty disease for which there is no known cure for. Take a loot at one of my threads Arthritis - What kind do I have? Over the years, I have slowly become an expert about Arthrtis, not just from the medical point of view, but from what it can do to someone's body.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com