Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Waiting list to see a PM doc

mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
edited 03/03/2014 - 10:10 PM in Pain Management
How long did it take you/how long does it normally take to get in to see a PM doc after you've gotten a referral?

• I have a friend who has just been referred and she has been told that she will have to wait about 6 months!

I was lucky to only have to wait about 3 months.

I would imagine (and hope) that the wait is not so long in the US.

• I'm in Australia so I don't know how it compares here to the UK. I think I've heard six months as well. There are pain units at public hospitals as well as private pain clinics. I'd imagine the private ones would be faster to get in to but who knows.
  • For me, My primary doc faxed over a referral sheet with test results. They called me within a week and I had my first appointment in about 3 weeks, I think. I could have actually gotten in sooner but I do work full time, so I needed to get those of their last appointments for the day and two of their open time slots were on my overtime days. My place is pretty regular that way, now all of my appointments are on Thursdays on or after 4pm (there has been only one time I couldn't get in that late and had to take a 3:15, but it wasn't a problem getting off of work a little early).
  • I had to have my primary fax my records and referral. So by the time they got everything it took 1 week for me. My PM doctor is great and has been there for me during all my surgeries.
    Female 44 survivor of thyroid cancer...just had two surgeries for breast cancer and chronic back pain. Live in upstate ny. On 8mg dilaudid 6 a day and 60mg morphine sulf er 2x day
  • who specializes in spinal cord injury and pain management at my surgeon's office, so I saw him right away.......and his successors since then.
    It can vary according to the area of the country you live in, and how many offices are in the surrounding area......some places, it can take a few days, some a few weeks and I have heard of others in more remote locations taking several weeks to get in for the initial consult.
  • I got my referral from my PCP, the Pain Management Office called to make an appointment for about 3-4 weeks later so they had time to get my records and all of my MRI's... Then I actually got my appointment earlier due to how much pain I was in... Unless there is a delay with them getting your records it can take only a week or two...
  • My six week wait sounded extreme until I read this. I guess I should thank my lucky stars!
    Take Care.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 04/12/2014 - 6:49 AM
    or country for that matter.......how many pain management offices or clinics there are nearby, what insurance you have, and availability of your records.
    Some can get a new patient in to see the doctor in a few days, others it may take weeks or even months.....
  • I live in PA in the US. I am changing pain doctors. I called and have an appointment with a new pain management doctor in 2 weeks. I have Medicare.
    Good luck to you.
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne
  • Live in NYS. For me it was four weeks as they are in the same location. (spine doc and physiatrist)
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 04/27/2014 - 8:05 PM
    Just to update, I have my first appointment with a PM doc on the 5th of June. Two months from when I booked the appointment. My GP said this doc has a longer waiting period because he is considered the best in the area. I'm in a lot of pain today and feeling very low. I really hope he can help me. I'm scared he won't be able to :(
  • It also took me about 2 months to get in, after my referral was sent. I'm sorry that you having more pain today, McJimJam, it's easy to feel low when you are feeling so badly. Hopefully, by the end of the day you are feeling some better. Hang in there & come here & talk with us, we will all do our best to help you pass the time until June 5th :-)