Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Confused, overwhelmed don't know where to start need Lumbar Fusion

I have always had issues with my back but my major pain started in 2010. I started with my chiropractor and wasn't getting any relief so I switched chiros still no relief I went to an orthopedic. My MRI showed a huge herniation at L4-L5 ortho dr said I needed surgery at this point. So I started my hunt for a neurosurgeon. I had a Microdiscectomy done 5/1/2012 after surgery I had immediate relief. I ended up reherniating after a physical therapist pushed to hard to fast. I had another Micro done 2/1/2013 and haven't had any relief since. My doc sent me to a pain dr for nerve blocks to hobble me along because the next step would be a fusion and he didn't want to that yet cause of my age. After several injections nothing has helped, pain dr sent me for a myelogram and basically said that I need a fusion. The disc space is to narrow and is pinching the nerves. It seems like there are a lot of options for fusions. Rods and pins, no rods and pins, anterior, posterior. How do decide??

• I think we're all confused when we're told we need surgery and we've exhausted every conservative measure to live life without pain. For me, I decided to find the best spine surgeon in a metro Atlanta. It took about six months; I saw two orthopedic surgeons and two neurosurgeons. They all basically agreed on what needed to be done so I picked the guy I felt most comfortable with and he decided on which procedure would suit me best. It was a rough couple weeks after surgery, but 10 months later, I'm enormously improved and glad I went through with it. Good luck!
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013
  • I picked my surgeon based on him being in my insurance network, referal, and the pa (not my suergons) who read my mri glazing over my mri and telling me I needed the Graston Chrio technique which is pretty painful. I left her office and called the suregon. By the time I saw the neuro he told me that the disc collapsed and there was only one way to fix it, tlif fusion.

I am glad I went with the tlif because my belly was not cut. The used a spacer and bmp material. Back to picking my suergon. My coworker had the same surgery. She actually had two surgeries with my doctor. I told my manager about it and he was so well versed because my coworker was his gf. I don't regret my decision. My fusion worked for it's intended purposes i woke up post op and the nerve and leg pain into my toes were gone. I would considerate a success because of the surgical structure taking.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • I think it is something you need to talk about once you find the surgeon you feel most comfortable with. I would get at least two maybe three different opinions. That's what I did and now I am scheduled for surgery April 9th. I will be having an ALIF L4-S1 w/posterior instrumentation. My surgeon recommended this type of surgery for me because it had a faster recovery time. If he was to perform a PLIF he told me he would be cutting through all my back muscles and makes it longer to recover.
    alif l4-s1