Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Maximumy hits a bad few days Leg and foot pain after fusion L4/L5 and L5/S1

MaximummyMMaximummy Posts: 77
edited 03/06/2014 - 8:52 PM in Recovering from Surgery
I expect everybody will say what I have read so many times on these pages, but can I still seek advice and reassurance as to when I should worry and call my surgeon and when I should just 'get on with it'. Today, Friday, is two weeks post-op and I think that on the whole I am doing well. The staples came out yesterday which is great and lying on my back is much more comfortable.
I was having trouble with bad headaches and terrible tightness and tenderness in buttocks, hips and thighs. Emailed surgeon who suggested a half dose, 2 mg diazepam 3xdaily for that and cut out Percocet re the headaches and see if Tylenol 4x daily 1gram would help. Headaches gone, tightness reducing a little.
Then about 6pm last night, for the first time since the op I got really strong nerve pain all the way down my left leg to my foot ... Enough to make me moan in pain.
Took 4 amitryptyline instead of 3 and 5mg diazepam before bed at 9pm ... Just exhausted. Slept till 4 and woke with the same pain still and now 07.40 and perhaps the pain is slightly duller. I had a cyst in the spinal canal at L4 left side which had compressed the nerve exit there for years. Is this just the nerve coming to life or possibly a problem with rods and cage in the facet joint at L4/L5? How does pain from the hardware feel?
I also took my first walk in the street on Wednesday! walking then stopping! walking then stopping but perhaps overdid it as I was out about a half hour ... Felt great at the time! Yesterday in the car to doctor to have the staples out ... Do you think it has just been a lot in a couple of days? I sleep an hour or so in bed after lunch every day, otherwise I am up and pottering and then sitting with visitors .... Wearing my corset and most of the time resisting the urge to wipe up in the kitchen etc! Usually crashed out and in bed for the night by 10 .... Last night in bed at 9 as I could not stay up any longer due to huge pain.

• I had an l5/s1 tlif in. July and didn't know about the muscle spasms and dermatones for a couple months. It flet like an electrical storm brewing in my body. I used to have the pain everyday. Now i have different psin.

I never got any relief from valium. I would have prefered a muscle relaxer
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18