Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Creaking, squeaking, clicking sounds

Jonny ZeroJonny Zero Posts: 69
edited 03/15/2014 - 11:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Weird, but I am experiencing a squeaky/creaking sound when I move my neck around.... It almost sounds like rubber on rubber or when you open a creaky door just before it squeaks... No additional pain from it, just a bunch of noise.

I have searched the site high and low -- Inflammation, tendons rubbing/stretching, tendons creating minute air/gas pockets when moving (getting caught on bones then moving back into place), osteophytes (bone spurs), but nothing seems to be certain. And from what I can find, no one gets a definite answer from their NS (Neurosurgeon). I suppose the answer is somewhere in this paragraph, but where???????????

If anyone has any idea as to what this may be, please chime in. It's making me think I have done something to sabotage my own healing. Please help as my NS is on holiday til March 17.
4 Level (C5-T2) Posterior Instrumented Fusion w/ Decompression (Car Accident in January 2014)
And I can't forget that I'm not ashamed, to be the person that I am today.

• There is no way for us to hazard a guess as to what the cause may or may not be........you didn't provide any real information other than you are hearing a sound that you are concerned about.
    If you are truly concerned, and recently had surgery or some other change to your condition, you can call and make an appointment to have the surgeon check it out.
  • Hi There!

I get popping and creaking and sometimes a little grinding in my neck, 20 years ago I had a skull - c3 fusion with a plate and wires, I have always been told its normal. Never causes any pain, but sometimes relieves some pressure. Im not sure what causes it (I always thought it was tendon/ ligament related, but I have no proof of that at all).

Hope that helps!

~ Glued
  • Abby-77AAbby-77 Posts: 1
    edited 03/11/2014 - 3:12 PM
    Clearly we need better moderators on this site because if you had done your homework you would have seen his original introduction post and there wouldn't be any confusion. Please do a better job next time so there is no confusion and we can continue on helping each other.
  • Hi Mr Zero I have had that same sound for many years, It seems to increase a little as I get older 57 at the moment not sure when it started. It has not caused me any problems and never really paid it any attention until I saw you post.
  • I actually also have a skull-C2 fusion. I have asked both my neurosurgeon and my Physical therapist. My Physical therapist has said that if you have a lot of scar tissue then that is the scar tissue loosening up. My neurosurgeon has said it is the instrumentation hitting the bones which is completely normal even though it sounds bad. Hope this helps!
  • Thanks 102876,

Sometimes I make so much noise, I wonder if I have more scar tissue than normal tissue back there! :-)

• My neck still makes all sorts of noises, but there was some reduction in the overall level after my cervical ADR. I have no idea if that means some of the noise was discogenic, from the facets or from some other location.

I do know that after the ADR, my wryneck straightened out. I was told that my head was tilted as my body was trying to self-adjust and take some pressure off the nerves. This was all being done by muscles, rather than wedge-shaped vertebrae, discs or whatever, so it may be that the noise was of muscular origin.
    August 2013 C7-T1 MED
    July 2013 L4-L5-S1 TLIF
    December 2011 C5-C6 ADR
    April 2009 L5-S1 MED
  • That it is a function of the arthritis in my neck. Between the arthritis and the DDD and the screws I would be surprised if I didn't make noise.
    Oh and as for the mods, there are sticky notes in the beginning of the forums that tell you what you should post in your first post to make it easier for others to respond to you.many people don't read that stuff because it is like a form letter, but there is actually some really helpful information there. Being mean, sarcastic and snarky is not going to help anyone. The mods are here to keep it from getting like Facebook.
  • Thanks Jonny!!

Im going in on Friday to have some surgery….my NS is pretty sure that some of the wires used for my fusion 20 years ago have moved and are touching the dura/ spinal cord itself. So I'm having them removed.

Hopefully I can remember to ask him what he thinks about my noisy neck. Though my hubby has some creaks and cracks of his own, and he hasn't had any spine surgery at all.

~ Glued
  • I had C4-5 fused C 6-7 lamonectomy and a spinal chord stimulator put in my neck. I still get squeaking in my neck. Not all the time, but sometimes when I am sitting or laying at certain angles it sounds like fluid is squeaking by some tight areas in my neck. My wife has heard it and so has my Neurosurgeon. Not real answer. There is spinal fluid present throughout our spine and it is pushed to the top of our necks underpressure from muscles in the spinal column. But just what and why it happens I don't know. It drives me nuts sometimes, just trying to figure it out, but it's not so bad now that I know I'm not alone. Good luck to all of you!
  • GmesenGGmesen Posts: 1
    edited 06/06/2015 - 9:12 PM
    I am 32 years old. Have never had any kind of surgeries nor injuries to my neck or head; however since I have had this screeching noise in the back of my neck at times. I have attributed it to spinal fluid "circulating" down my spine. It has been loud enough that my wife, child and a couple other people have been able to hear it. I have never brought it up with a doctor, though I probably should have. Most of the people who have experienced something similar have had some kind of surgery or maybe even scar tissue in that general area of the neck. Would that mean that I have some kind of an "obstruction" which would produce that "pinching" effect on my neck? Could it be a sign of a probable tumor or something else just as unnerving? ?

There is nobody on the forum medically qualified to give advice, all responses will be based on members personal experiences

Liz.....Spine-health moderator
  • Gmesen
    Does it hurt? I have been told that it can just be pressure in between the joints if you haven't had any surgeries or injuries to your neck. If it hurts then get it checked out, if not then I wouldn't worry about it
  • SamjcartwrightSSamjcartwright Posts: 1
    edited 08/24/2015 - 1:07 AM
    In April 2014 I had an 6 level spinal fusion s1to T8 in the sept it was really noisy I contacted surgeon again and they took X-rays and scans. It was decided it had a screw coming undone
    It was redone in November the noises stopped all went well till may this year when I fell and fractured my spine
    They the redid fusion and fixed to my pelvis
    Again all has been well until, 2 weeks ago when it started clunking and creaking
    I am presently having scans to determine what needs to be done but I just know it's the same as when screws came lose
    Has anybody else experienced problems like this
    I do have ehlers danlos syndrome which affects ligament and connective tissue

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage