Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new opioid drug wanted to be banned by the dea gov't

i just read an article about a new time release med related to vicodin that is coming out and needed to be voted on. here is part of the warning given by the dea voters. here we go again with the hysteria. it can be crushed and used as was once oxycontin. oxycontin now has a tamper proof coating whereas zohydro does not. these guys want it banned. so let's see, oxy is ok but zohydro is not. just put a coating on it and then people won't have to worry.

"In the midst of a severe drug addiction epidemic fueled by overprescribing of opioids, the very last thing the country needs is a new, dangerous, high-dose opioid," some 40 experts wrote to the FDA in a call for Zohydro's reevaluation. "It's a whopping dose of hydrocodone packed in an easy-to-crush capsule. It will kill people as soon as it’s released," says one of those experts. But one doctor points out that "it all depends on how doctors monitor it. It could be lifesaving. But if used the wrong way, like any medication, it can cause trouble." On that front, Forbes reports that experts say someone unaccustomed to opioids could overdose with as little as two pills, and that a single pill could kill a child.
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• Hope3HHope3 Posts: 751
    edited 03/11/2014 - 9:15 AM
    This subject infuriates me and how do we get our point across. Where are those who get it speaking out to help the ones that suffer because they need meds. If they would stop and investigate every overdose I wonder how many would be those who follow the rules and have tried all the other coping skills available. Yet every day we struggle to live our lives. I have worked since I was 13 years old, never used street drugs and quit drinking the first time a took a pain pill. I am 65 feel blessed every day that I only dealt with this for the last 20 years. Some of the young ones my heart goes out to them what is going to them in the next few years. Even if some of those who fight so hard to stop the meds. they may have experienced pain but we all know that everyone feels pain differently. I deal with ignorant people every day in my life so it starts at a low level and travels all the way up.
    I really wish there was a way to get an organization of some real suffers to represent our side, have you ever heard of any?
    If they are so worried about deaths why isn't all the deaths in hospitals and deaths do to infections picked up there? That is a real crisis too but you sure don't hear anything about it. I don't get it, I have lost friends to both and can't get a grasp on why one is so much more worse to the world than the other.
    Sorry I am probably not making sense and in a lot of pain today so forgive me I try.
    Thanks Sherri
  • the problem is that a few years ago the gov't loosened up the laws for narcotics and chronic pain. unfortunately the people who abuse the meds and the word getting out that all you have to do is say my back hurts and a pain dr will give you a narcotic this is simplifying it a bit but not much. after people going to pain drs with imagined or bogus back pain complaints and the word getting out that one could smash up oxy to get a real high, the demand went up and the gov't started to check into it. now thanks to bogus drug seekers and abusers and movie stars od'ing on narcotics, the pendalum is swinging the other way. so now people who rely on narcotics are getting checked more and more along with pain doctors. don't blame the gov't so much but the people who try to get narcotics when they don't need them and the people who abuse them. it is all over the media now and it will get worse. in the future, it might take an act of god to get narcotics.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    and I hope that tighter controls will soon reduce the amount of abusers, both patient and doctors.

Sherri, I am all for patients getting the type of medications that they need. But our society has become so hung up on narcotics and pain medications as the only way to deal with chronic pain. We tend to forget all the other important pieces that are necessary to manage one's pain. I am sure that earlier in your life (not sure when you first had spinal problems), but that there was no problem with doctors prescribing narcotic pain medications.

I know first hand. Prior to my second lumbar surgery, I had a doctor that would write a prescription for 100 Tylox the moment I said I felt uncomfortable. I would go there for a follow up appointment the next week and he was ready with another script for 100. That type of behavior started the whole situation that the DEA is involved with

I only want to see that the patient is getting the appropriate amount of medication for their problem. Now, here is where there are so many problems. What the doctor believes and What the patient wants. I've created numerous threads about that, so I wont belabor the issue here.

There is a important Two-Way communication path that it is the heart of how a doctor and patient interact. When there is not trust, I doubt there be much in terms of appropriate relief. When the trust is there, doctors will find ways, no matter how difficult they may be to make sure that their patient gets exactly what they need.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You are right about a lot of the things you have said I know all of that believe me.
    But the truth for some of us no matter we have and will in the future run across those
    doctors that have a one track mind. I practice all the other alternatives to avoid taking
    pain meds but unfortunately I have yet to come across something that gives me some
    Quality of life. I will keep searching I always have and hope every person on here can
    find the ways to battle their pain without "meds".
    No need to reply we all live in different worlds and deal with different pain and doctors.
    Thanks for the in-put.
    but more for everyone else to read. Its good that all members have the opportunity to express their thoughts and then get feedback.

I really believe an area that needs to be explored by everyone is alternative medicines. I am very fortunate to have a physiatrist that is very opened minded and she sent me to this Deep Tissue massage guru from Thailand. This man, not only kept me out of a wheelchair but opened my mind to some of the wonders of eastern medicine.

There is something to be said about the fact that in the eastern world, without chemicals, centuries of people have suffered and gotten better. So whats their secret?

I could not even touch the subject on the whys and hows, I just know for me, some of that can work. Aroma therapy is a very strong aid in combating everyday problems. Combine that with music relaxation and mediation and you will be amazed at just how much that helps with your pain, WITHOUT any chemical narcotics. Its not something that can happen over night. You cant just light a candle put on a Yanni CD and expect to have pain relief.

The point is, there ARE WAYS. Perhaps we haven't even tapped all of them yet. And do our current doctors agree with this mindset? I know some are very opposed, while others embrace it.

Quality of Life Isnt that what everyone on this forum looks for!
  • When did I say it wasn't for everybody.
    Gees it never quits I must need to go back to school to learn to communicate.
    Try Bee stings and yes they did work for awhile in one spot. I even went to a
    lady who's house creeped people out but with the smells of things she was burning,
    the lighting and the soothing massages she is for some people too much.
    For me I continue to see her the results are amazing. There are studies currently under
    way using venom and plants with excellent potential. This forum is for everyone I get
    it ok.
    Good day
    edited 03/11/2014 - 11:52 AM
    My reply was for everyone.
    hope3 said:

No need to reply
    I took that to mean, there was no need to reply. But what I did is take what has been said in the past number of posts and expand on it. Many times, I will respond to a general topic, not one individual. If it has to be directly to that one person, I will mention their name so there is no question about it or send a private message.
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 03/12/2014 - 1:56 AM
    I suppose there is some good news buried in here, amongst all the fear mongering and hype. The company marketing Zohydro and also another pharma company are working on a tamper-resistant version of ER hydrocodone. So even if the FDA do rescind the approval of Zohydro in its current form, there will soon be an ER hydrocodone on the market, with crush-resistant features. In reality this is a very good thing. There are downsides to using IR opioids for chronic pain, and up till now people for whom only hydrocodone is effective and tolerable have had no choice. Now they do.
  • There is a silver lining here. I googled the subject & every article I read discussed why more ER narcotic medications are needed. Although they were bias against this drug, they did explain how many people live with chronic pain & how much they need narcotic medications just to live. One stated that everyone is 20 times more likely to know someone requiring this kind of medication than someone with addiction issues. A couple even explained the advantages this pill has over others already on the market. It talked about the nightmare of chronic pain. isn't that a good thing?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.