Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

comp and ltd

When workers compensation decides to cut me off benefits because I'm not getting better or cannot return to work. Am I able to apply to my Ltd threw my work benefits?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    edited 03/11/2014 - 10:59 AM
    from company to company.
    I know that in the company I worked for, you could have several Short Term Disability leaves in a row before it was mandatory to apply for Long Term Disability.

That STD can be viewed in ways that workers compensation is handled. or how Physical therapy will discharge patients and why Insurance companies will not continue to pay. When there is no progress and the patient is at a standstill, thats when many of the benefits cease. So, its that time, to look towards the next level of benefits

Justin, are you in a position where you can not return to work? If so, how what is your company instructing you what to do? Is there a HR department that you could explore this with?

Each company handles this differently and I am finding out that states also handle this differently. Get as much information as you can before they cut the chord on you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • So I should ask my company who is expecting me to come back to work soon if I can go on disability when wcb has ran out of options for me. I don't think my company would like that and wouldn't that just stir the pot alot more.. I want to go back to work so bad but I can barely stand for more than 20 minutes without my back muscles giving out. I have ok days and then I have very very bad days. My job is as a tradesman and I need full function of my body and I am barely surviving at home. What happens to people like this. Even with all this insurance and workers comp and stuff we still end up on social assistance in the end. I really really wish I was faking this , it's been 2 years almost and I still cant get used to this secret pressure from everyone. It's like why aren't you better yet justin. I'm like hold on a second while I shrink in size so I can ask my white or red blood cells why the hell there not doing there jobs fast enough. I understand some people fake it but like I had surgery so come on.
  • justinjjustin Posts: 39
    edited 03/11/2014 - 10:07 PM
    Thanks for saying that to me. I guess the real problem is that my work needs me so badly that they will tell wcb that they can accommodate any restriction I'm givin And wcb is like whoooooo hoooo! But then my work is like why can't you do another job they keep pressuring me to do more and more and wcb does not seem to want to intervene. They sent me back to work in the first year of my injury which was a crap show.. I ended up going off on severe depression cause I couldnt do my job and took it very hard on myself. Even when I pleaded and cried to the doctors that working was literally tearing me apart they only took me off cause of the depression I was in and not the pain. I just don't understand this world. I have a valid injury that's making my life hell on earth and when I tell people that it's like in one ear and out the other. I used to feel bad charging people so much money for the company I worked for . People used to cry and say how bad there life was and then I would feel bad and find a way to reduce there bill. But now that I am pleading for my life nobody out there cares to help me in anyway. So what's the point in helping people when your not helped. Yes wcb is paying me right now but I'd rather be on something for long term at half the amount then anticipate being cut off all the time. Why don't these doctors have the xxxx just to tell me I'm not going to get better with a spine injury. I'll never be able to bend forward and stoop with confidence again its seems pretty straight forward to me. But I keep hearing I'm going to be back to pre injury condition every time I talk to a doctor. Sorry everyone I'm just very frustrated with everything happening still from this injury and can't seem to find any positives

Post edited to remove inappropriate language Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    my really only advice at this point would be to tell you that IF you think your current condition and pain is going to create a bigger strain on you at work, then you need to explore other options.

The last thing you want to do, is return to work (hurting in pain) do you job for a while and discover its causing you more pain.
    Sorta like dont put you hand onto a hot sizzling plate , wait until it cools down.

HR departments can be very helpful in these situations. They are there to be looking after your best interest and how it interacts with the company. If you didnt go to HR first, then ran into some medical problems later. chances of LTD might not be that easy. Hard to say, every companies HR groups work differently. And with today's economy, I knew getting anything beneficial for the employee is hard.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Write everything down that your company tells you! If they miscoded you at the time of your injury, a good WC lawyer might be able to help. Don't rely on memory...write it down!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I work for a small City, & do the work of 3 people. It involves sitting, standing, walking & driving, none of which I can do for more than about 15 minutes without pain. I don't believe in driving while on narcs, so when I was working it was beyond horrible.

I fell at work in Oct., & have been off ever since, since my fall aggravated the heck out of everything, as I'm sure everyone can relate to. I applied for WC & was denied. I am going to try an appeal, because the MRI after the fall showed some changes in something. That will be a tough one, since I had such a preexisting condition prior to the fall, but my Dr thinks it's worth a shot, so I guess I will give it a try.

In speaking with several dr's, I have come to the realization I will have these issues the rest of my life, nothing is ever really going to heal, & I think I will need at least a lower end pain med just to be halfway functional. I'm only 47, & this is not the way wanted to go out.

Just like we have issues getting pain meds, so do we have issues with WC, LTD or retirement, thanks to the scammers who have come before us. The one thing I have in my favor as far as LTD or retirement, is that it's very clear I get no financial gain out of this. It's not 2/3 of my salary untaxed, so I make more on disability than working, which is what happens for a lot of people. Nope, there is a max you can get & it's less than half of my salary.

My biggest worry is getting fired. It's been almost 6 months, & though they have a temporary person doing my job, eventually they are going to want a permanent person, and I don't blame them. I consulted a lawyer and asked that very question, & he said I need to find out what the policy is on how long a person can be out before they let you go. Like you Justin, I'm afraid to stir the pot. I just don't want to lose my LTD before my retirement comes through, which can take up to a year, and that's IF it's approved on the first try.

Good luck Justin, you are definetly not alone.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand