Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In hospital now with pain and loss of bladder & bowel control

ex-gymnasteex-gymnast Posts: 111
edited 03/11/2014 - 10:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Quick history: l2-4 fusion in June 13. L4-5 right foraminotomy Jan 8, 14. 4 days ago I had all restrictions lifted and pulled up the sheet on our bed to make the bed. My thoracic and lumbar region went into huge spams that dropped me to my knees. Went to local hospital later that day (Sat night). Was admitted for pain control. Now been here 4 days. Have lost bowel control once and bladder control 6 times. Nobody knows what to do. My right leg is in immense pain and very weak including foot drop. MRI is inconclusive. Plan now is to send me home today and get me into see my surgeon 40 miles away asap. I'm currently unable to stand up straight and am using a walker to get around with help. I am on robaxin, 8 mg dilaudid every 4 hrs, 10 mg valium every 8 hrs, neurontin 300 mg daily, just got a lidocain patch, a steroid, torodol when I go home along with everything else plus ativan at night because I can't sleep. Yet I'm awake and alert and not a zombie. I need my surgeon. They have just now discharged me. Assuring me I can an appointment next week. Seriously? Next week! Argh!!! So I'm headed home, praying I don't soil myself to try to get in next week. I'm so xxxx and scared and yet they say that I don't have cauda equina syndrome according to my MRI so I guess they think I'm doing this for fun. I have no one to help me at home between 7:00 am And 3:45 pm. This ought to be fun. Whatever. I give up.
So frustrated and depressed.

post edited to remove inappropriate language Please read the Forum rules
Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team
Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015

• EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 916
    edited 03/12/2014 - 2:21 AM
    Sounds like you may have made L3 area angry. I'm surprised they are discharging without a neuro consult. It sounds a little like cauda equina syndrome but only your doctors can call that.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Ex-gymnast....I read your story in the June surgery buddies forum when I was preparing for my own surgery. Wow! You sure have been thru it! Hope you get things figured out soon.
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • I would contact your surgeon on your way home and better yet, go to his office.......loosing control of one's bladder and bowel's is NOT a good sign.....I would insist on being seen , sooner rather than later.
  • I would not wait until next week. I personally would either go back to the hospital you were at or to another hospital and demand that you see a neurosurgeon. THis is something that shouldn't be going on for another week.
  • I am so sorry. They do miss things on MRI's, they did with me, so really hope they find a correct diagnosis.

Hope this is just a setback. They do know a lot about lumbar spine so that's one up for you.

Have you asked for a weight bearing MRI and XRay. I know the images aren't as good, but they must have missed something. Look up weight bearing MRI's on YOU Tube. I know how crazy it made me when they couldn't make a correct diagnosis.

I was by myself for a lot of the time. I had my bedroom set up for lying down - Laptop, TV, Video and I watched every single movie just about they ever made to take my mind off the pain. I even started playing the free games to keep me distracted.

Hope it sorts itself out and you will be ok again.

At least someone will cook for you and change your sheets. When my mum was there she changed my sheets everyday and it made me feel so much better.

Hope you keep mentally occupied - can't really do much else and I really hope they realise what has happened. If I had my time over again I would have mind mapped my injury and probably could have worked it out myself, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Might be worth a try though.

• So sorry to read this, especially after all you've been through. It DOES sound like cauda equina or something else serious. You need to be seen ASAP
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1