Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie Long history of Back Pain, New L2 Fracture

I am a 61 yr Female. I have had lower back pain and spasms for years.

20 yrs ago I had an MRI that showed Osteoarthritis.

I have been told I have osteopenia and in the past 2 years because of very low BP I have fainted and hit my hard ceramic floor with force, causing a torn ACL that was repaired with surgery. Last faint was about 8 months ago and I do remember my tail bone being sore. Not bad enough to see a Dr.

Up until this past year I could handle the pain & spasms. If they were too much my Dr would give me a shot to relieve the spasm and meds.

Over a year ago my pain became more consistent. My Dr ordered an x-ray.

Findings, There is no evidence of fracture or subluxation. Osteophytic spurring is noted at multiple levels related to osteoarthritis. There is narrowing of the L5-S1 disc space related to disc degeneration.

My Dr requested an MRI and insurance denied. Fast forward to now. Pain increased over the past year. It is to the point I get very little time off from it. All lower back mainly right side. At times the pain wraps around my hip to my pelvis. There is a very specific spot to the right of my lower spine that I can tell the pain radiates from there. A few months ago I started having what feels like lightening bolts of pain in my lower spine. They leave as fast as they arrive. But, they can bring me to my knees.

With the new symptoms and constant pain I decided it was time for an orthopedic visit. Yesterday was my first. He took many x-rays and an exam. Then he asked, has anyone ever told you that you fractured your spine? I gave him the x-ray report from a year ago that stated no fracture.

He told me I have what looks like a compression fracture @ L2. Also talked about lumbar spondylosis, lumbar radiculopathy & scoliosis.

I am now approved for an MRI which will take place tomorrow.

All that brought me here in my search for info and what I am up against. Not sure how much time I'll have between MRI and Dr telling me results so I want to educate myself. I want to be sure to ask the right questions. Yesterday I was a little speechless when I learned of the fracture. Caught me totally of guard. I was all prepared for disc issues.

Side note, I have two younger brothers that have had back surgeries with very poor results. So much so that when I was coming up on my 60th birthday I lost the extra weight I was carrying around. I knew the best chance of me having a healthy back was to continue my workouts and lose those extra pounds.

Thanks in advance for anything you can offer as to what I should discuss when I get MRI results.
Take Care.