Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My intro major lower back pain pre surgery

Hi everyone, I am really glad to find tis sight! I have read some of the post and I feel I might actually find some comfort here. I am 30 year old female. I have a loving husband and 3 small children ages 9, 7, and 3. I worked fulltime at DollarGeneral until my doctor to me off a month ago. I have had back pain for as long as I can remember. I was born with spinal bifida but I was unaware if it until last year. I have dealt with the pain until woke up one morning and couldn't walk. So my husband carried me to the er in our town where they done an xray soon following an mri and off to the doctor I went. He told me I have the spinal bifida, D.D.D, spondylolisthesis, stenosis, bulging disc at L5-S1, and lumbar radiculopathy and\or sciatica( I'm no sue if that is the same thing or not) They tried a few things like pt and shots. Pt didn't last long the more I went he less I could walk. He done another mri last month and said my nerves were pinched in my L5 par? Which is apparently fractured. This is all gibersh to me. I am so lost but after that he took me out of work and to a neurosurgeon. He hasn't wasted any time!! I am scheduled for surgery on the 25th of this month(March). The surgery is gong to be a L5-S1 laminectomy, reduction of spondylolisthesis, and instrumented fusion. I am scared to death of what awaits me. The worst thing I have ever been through was getting my tubes tied and my tousles out when I was 7. My husband is just beside himself as bad as I am. He is disabled from the military s the stress we are under is growing by the day. Due to me being the only one working. He only brings in $750 a month. So we are super stressed and broke and worried beyond belief!!! Any thoughts or hearing from people that are going through that same kind of things would be so appreciated. My support system is my husband. He is all I have!

It is great t meet all of you. I hope to here from everyone soon! ;)
Kimberly taylor
advertisement

Comments

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 03/14/2014 - 12:23 PM
    Although you are much younger than me (I am in my 50s), I had an L4/5 laminectomy with fusion done 4 years ago. The surgeon managed to reduce the amount of slippage and I had a cage which he filled with the ground up bone that he removed with the laminectomy. I have 2 rods and 4 screws to hold things while I fused. The only surgery I had any experience of before was my tonsills out when I was 3!

Now before surgery I had terrible sciatica in both legs and lower back pain. Like you, I had been tolerating back pain for a very long time. They were amazed that I had carried three pregnancies without being diagnosed as the weight is known to pull the slipped vertebra further forward and cause more compression on the nerves. They asked if I had suffered with back pain while pregnant. Yes I definately had, but I thought pregnant women had back ache. I had awful sciatica too. I don't think I ever mentioned it to my doctor or midwife! I see you have three children too.

I was told that surgery would deal with the leg pain I was getting, but not the back pain. In fact the surgery got rid of the leg pain and gave great relief from the lower back pain. I was very pleased with the result and would definately go through it again to get the same relief.

I was terrified of the thought of spinal surgery and wouldn't even go and talk to a surgeon. Eventually my pain got so bad and was limiting my life so much that I didn't know what else to do. I had waited for over 2 years and got to the point where I could only stand for about 5 minutes and walk for about 10 minutes before I was looking for somewhere to sit down. The surgeon said he didn't know how I was managing to walk around and that I couldn't put off surgery any longer or I was risking ending up in a wheelchair and eventually incontinent. That was enough to get me to agree to have surgery!

I was prepared for a very long and difficult recovery. In fact, it wasn't as bad as I had feared. It was long, but the pain levels were so much less that the pain I was suffering before the surgery.

I don't know if you want to know what this surgery involves but there is a lot of information on this site about it.
    Let me know if you are interested in learning about it and I will post some links to articles about the condition and surgery.
    There is a thread about useful items that could be helpful for after surgery. Here is a link to that :

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0

Please don't be worried by how many items are on there! This if for neck surgery as well as back surgery. Just reading the list will give you an idea of some of the problems you may experience. Having a supportive husband is going to be a wonderful help, especially as you have young children. :-)

Do ask any other questions that you have.

• I am sure you know how much this message means to me emotionally because you have been there. With me being so young with this people look at me like I am some kind of hypochondriac! because they dont understand simple things like getting out of bed sitting, on the toilet, or walking down my front steps. Like yesterday I couldn't walk at all! Today I a moving around some but its just a few steps at a time it feels like my hips and spine arnt attached any more its just bones grinding together when I take take a step the pain wraps all the way around!!! You have made my month!!! And I am so happy your outcome was so good!!!
    Kimberly taylor
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 03/18/2014 - 6:59 AM
    Yes, I do understand how helpful it is to hear from someone who has been through this before us and hear that they got through it and are much improved.

That is one reason that I am still hear posting to others. :-) Spine Health and its members really helped me get through it.

No-one quite understands how hard this is to cope with like those that have been through it. Even our supportive loved ones don't quite get it and can wonder why it takes so long to get over the surgery.

This is a great place to come for support and while recovering there will be questions you have. Do come and ask them. While recovering from my surgeries I made some very good friends here and am still in touch with some of them off the forum. They are back to busy lives and having fun!

This surgery will hopefully be the way to get you into that situation again too.

If you would like, do feel free to Private Message (Send PM) me.

Again, if you think of any other questions you have, do ask. :-)