Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not so great appt w/PM, now what???

History: so I've got something wrong with ever disc, herniated, bone spurs, stenosis, fractured pediculs, etc. I'm still trying to piece together the specifics of what is specifically wrong with each disc, that's why I've not put the info in my profile. I also have extremely bad bursitis in my left leg, & nerve pain in my legs every time I lay down.

I had been seeing an Ortho who did cortisone shots, sent me to PT, prescribed Vicodin, then perc, than Norco. Nothing worked. He suggested surgery, but I don't want it, & the neuro I consulted says he won't touch me, I'm too high risk.

So about a year ago, Ortho sent me to PM. Mind you, I was very naive about what a PM will & will not do, & the fact that if you ever go to the ER & mention you have a PM, you will have completely wasted your time.

The PM did 2 epidurals, one lasted a month, one lasted about a week. Most recently I had the nerve burning thing, minimal relief. I also had a breast reduction about a month ago. I mentioned in another post "The importance of having your PM dr involved with any type of surgery". After my surgery, the typical pain meds/levels didn't work, the plastic surgeon called a friend of his who is a PM who explained non-pm dr are not comfortable prescribing the meds/levels chronic pain patients need. So he gives me 2 small prescriptions for OxyContin & OxyCodone. One was every 8 hours, the other for break through as needed. Note that my PM dr has only prescribed neurontin (which I can't take) & I have no pain contract with him.

So yesterday I go in & update him that the nerve burning didn't do a whole lot, & he's very disappointed. I also tell him about the mess I ended up in when I had my surgery. I show him the empty bottles, and say I just want to inform him of what happened; I do not ask for these drugs. First thing he says is I don't prescribe either of these drugs, if this is what you want, you need to go somewhere else. I say again, I'm not asking for these, just want to let him know what the other doc gave me. In fact, I tell him I thought about the long acting one, & how if I were to take something like that, how I would work it around driving, because it's very important to me to not to drive under the influence of narcotics (please no debate, that's how I feel & I'm not going to change my mind). I tell him if I were to take any kind of long acting med it would have to 1 time per day, around 6 PM, & I'm not sure it would be a good option. I explain my schedule, which is I get home around 8:30 am from dropping kids off, & I am faced with a dilemma. My back may not be hurting a ton, but if I wait & it starts hurting a couple of hours later, I won't be able to take anything, because I have to pick up kids at 2:30, & I always want at least 4 hours to go by before I drive. I further explain that my back is usually getting pretty bad by late afternoon, but I take nothing because I have to drive again to pick up my daughter around 6 from dance class. So I don't take anything until driving done & I'm home got the night. Sometimes the pain is unbearable, but I would rather suffer a few hours than take a chance & drive.

I explain I've been taking Norco for awhile & it's not working as well, I'm not asking for oxy & totally respect his feelings about it, but does he have any suggestions for something else? That begins a long discussion about the evils of narcotics, & that it's really the Tylenol in all these drugs that give people relieve. I should take 2 extra strength Tylenol 2 times per day, rest, & "mind over matter". I tell him I tried Tylenol a bunch of times when I was working, & it never worked. He told me no one has ever died from pain, but lots of people die from pain meds. I ask "but isn't that because they abuse them?" He says no. He talks about how even though I may not feel loopy or anything, it's destroying my memory, etc.

He says he has faith in me that I can survive on Tylenol, because I'm willing to suffer every day so that I don't have to drive. I tell him yes, but part of what gets me through is knowing that around 6 I will be able to take my Norco & get at least a little relief. He then proceeds to tell me he does not prescribe narcos, period, if that's what I want I need to go somewhere else.
I tell him I respect his views, & I'm willing to give it an honest try. I tell him I will try this for 2 weeks, & write down how I'm feeling & show him a chart. He basically says that's great, but no matter what I will not prescribe any narco meds.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I have serious doubts. My husband comes home, & I'm totally freaking out thinking I have to find another pm, but our insurance doesn't cover very many, & then what if the DEA thinks I'm dr shopping, all the things that can happen that I've read about on this forum. He reminds me that I get my Norco from my Ortho not PM, & if the DEA comes knocking, or my Ortho has to stop prescribing (I don't think he would unless he was forced to, at least I hope not) we will deal with it then. My Ortho has prescribed Vicodin before, i think next time I see him I'm going to ask him to switch me back to Vicodin, & see how long I can get by this way.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. This is half vent/half what do I do now? post. Appreciate feedback/suggestions
We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand

• It sounds like you raised some red flags in the eye of your doctor and maybe that's why he is so reluctant to prescribe meds for you. I think its a very bad idea to tell a doctor what meds you are looking for. If it is a med that he is prescribing to you and you are currently taking it and you have a discussion with him stating how effective it is for you I see no problem. He is only protecting himself from the laws.
    alif l4-s1
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 916
    edited 03/14/2014 - 2:37 AM
    If Tylenol is what fixes everything, then every pain management doctor should close down, and every person who has uncontrolled pain issues should just file for disability and collect a check instead of trying to remain productive. Not to mention they are finding Tylenol is more toxic on the liver than previously thought.

You may want to check with your primary physician and see if he/she will refer you to another doctor. Be brutally honest with your primary doctor.

Problem is doctors are getting hit from every angle about pain meds. I get that but they also need to realize that their patients should be able to ask questions and give their information without making them feel like a criminal. I would NOT ask for a specific drug. But if you're trying to explain what you took and it didn't help, then it seems you should be able to without retribution.

One question - was the bottle of meds that weren't working empty or did it still have pills in it? A doctor is going to doubt you if you say something isn't working yet you've taken all of it.

I would think that if the Norco and other opioids weren't working, they can test to see if your body metabolizes the meds or not. If it comes back that you don't metabolize the opioid, then he/she should try a different medication.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Pink2lipPink2lip Posts: 123
    edited 03/14/2014 - 4:01 AM
    I agree, asking for specific pills and strenghts are a red flag. I exhausted every conservative measure. I took and did everything that was asked of me. I had my surgery in July and go,to PM every 2 months. My PM is out of network so I pay the $78 dollar office visit out of pocket, to me it is worth it.

Everytime i see my PM I focus on what they are asking me. I don't talk or blabber when they ask questions. You may want to consider surgery. If you had breast surgery a month ago you should go with that.

Right now I am trying to reduce the need for the pain meds. I will not do natural products because they have sude effects to, which could damage my stomach. Good Luck. In the future just let the doctor lead. I would not have told them i need this, but I don't take it because of xyz. Sounds like you were telling him conflicting info. If you only take it at 6 because of the kids they might not think your in enough pain to justify p,meds.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • But I never asked him for a specific drug. I brought the empty bottles of oxycodone & OxyContin to show him what the other PM (not at my request) had given me. On fact, I made a point to tell him I was not asking for these, I was just trying to keep him in the loop of what had happened. This is the truth, I wasn't looking for prescriptions for these. I remembered what I've read on here about always being honest about what you've taken, & to never ask for a specific drug. These were small prescriptions, I think the long acting one had 10 pills & the short acting one 10. I even asked him if he wanted to throw the bottles away, because there were no refills & I had no intention of trying to try to refill them, but he declined that. I guess we just can't win. I tried to communicate that I was willing to suffer some pain in order to do what I believe is the right thing, which is not drive under the influence, but I would like to be able to get some relief, just so I can function. I really liked the PM who saw me in the hospital & another person on this forum goes to him & had very positive things to say about him, but he does not take my insurance. I'm just going to try to keep going with my Ortho & the lesser strong narcotics as long as I can. If the pain becomes completely intolerable again, I may consider going to the other guy & paying out of pocket. This whole PM dr thing & what to say & not say is really difficult for me. I've had many, many medical issues my whole life, & between me & my kids have probably seen 200 Dr's, including some that are world renoun, & I'm not used to having to walk on eggshells as far as what I can say I think would help, etc. I've always believed a dr can't fully help you unless you are totally honest about everything going on with your body, & that it takes a team effort between u & your doc to get u well. No wonder so many of us are on antidepressants; not only are we dealing with how to live with chronic pain, but we have to be so careful about what we communicate to the very dr's who can help us! Something is seriously wrong here! Thanks for the feedback & allowing me to vent.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    yet, but if you even come close to doing what you just said. Get one medication from one doctor and another from another doctor., that red flag will fly very high.

Everyone gets alerted when a person picks up narcotic medications from two different doctors.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Only neurontin, which did not agree with me. Only my Ortho, & the one time PM in the hospital that I did not ask to see. What exactly happen when you are red flagged? Does a letter go out to every pharmacy, or every Dr you have? Would I get some kind of letter, & a chance to speak to someone about whatever they think I've done wrong? Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances, as in my case my surgeon sent in a pm, I did not request him to do this.
    but I know for some pharmacies and doctors office, they can pull up an 'alert' list under your name. I have seen some of these. They can get pretty specific, times/dates/locations/etc

As some other long term members have said here, once you get a red flag its next to impossible to remove it.
  • Now I am confused. Why would you bring two empty bottles to the doctor but have no intention of asking or having theses filled?? You can go all day without taking prescription pain meds but you need them after 6:00 when your not driving?? The other PM doctor only prescribed 10 pills of each oxy?? Unless it is for an acute injury I have never heard of this. I was always under the impression PM doctors were for chronic conditions and would write prescriptions for like thirty days at a time. I could be wrong. You also stated to your doctor you were willing to suffer through the pain?? Why? That is only telling him your pain is not that bad and can be controlled by Tylenol.

No one here is trying to pick you apart or against you. What I just listed is some of the stuff you said. In a PM eyes you raised RED FLAGS of not needing prescription narcotics plain and simple.
    alif l4-s1
  • So as not to write too long of a post, if you don't mind, please go back & read my post called "the importance of having your pm involved with any surgery". That will explain how I ended up with the 2 small oxy prescriptions.

When I went to see my pm, I took the bottles with me & explained what had happened with my surgeon. I was trying to make sure I was upfront about what pain meds I had taken, & how I got them.

I thought telling him that was willing to take less meds & live with a certain level of pain to do what I believed was the right thing to do (no driving under the influence) rather than trying to get stronger meds that I wanted to take 'round the clock would show him I wasn't just looking for drugs & trying to scam him.

Please know that I don't judge anyone who tries to be medicated 24/7, believe me, I've been there, & will likely be again.

I wish that the dr would have told me his views on narcotics at our first meeting. When I was referred to him, I had no idea I was supposed to get all meds from him, & all the "rules" there are for this stuff. I was totally open to the 2 epidurals & nerve burning he wanted to try, I just wish I knew upfront that if it didn't work there would be no "back up" plan with regard to stronger meds, I would have looked for a pm who would consider meds if nothing else worked.

Looking back on some of the statements my surgeon made, he must have run some kind of report on me, & now I'm going to be living in fear that one day my Ortho will get that dea letter. That, & the fact that if my pain goes out of control again, I will have to find a new pm is not helping my anxiety. Geez, I feel like I'm some kind of horrible criminal! I do appreciate everyone's feedback, I have learned soooo much on this site, & obviously I need all the help I can get.
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 03/14/2014 - 3:38 PM
    Where I think you went wrong and this doc soured on you is when you say that you choose not to take pain meds because you have to drive. I imagine he thinks, "if the pain is truly that bad, she would take the pain meds and drive, or take the meds and make alternative arrangements for her childrens transport". Remember it is not illegal to drive on Rx meds, as long as they are not impairing your ability to drive, so it is not really a matter of abiding by the law either. It seems to me if the pain was absolutely terrible and you absolutely won't drive on pain meds you would choose not to drive at all, over going without the meds.

If your ortho is planning to keep seeing you and managing your meds maybe you don't need a PM doc?
  • Tired of the painTTired of the pain Posts: 197
    edited 03/14/2014 - 3:59 PM
    I don't know what it is like in your state but in Fl. Anytime a doctor is thinking of prescribing narcotics, they have a database that lists all the narcotic pain meds you are prescribed and who prescribed them and the last time you filled them. If there is anything that conflicts, you can be reported to the police whether it was intentional or not. I had my GP, my psychiatrist, my surgeon, and my PM. When I went to my GP, her PA ran my report and saw that I had an Rx's for Xanax that she had written me 6 months before my psychiatrist wrote for Klonnapin. He wrote it for sleeping. He knew what I had, but the PA started interrogating me about it because Xanax and Klonapin are the same drug, just Ir and ER. I didn't even know that. I hardly ever took the Xanax, it was as needed and I wasn't needing it that much.
    This PA said that I could be arrested and charged with doctor shopping because I was getting similar drugs from two different docs. I had no idea.I am an educator and could have lost my certificate and my pension if that happened. She told me that If I brought what I had left, she would dispose of them and record that I had given the Xanax to her.
    It scared the crap out of me and pissed me off at the same time. She made me feel like a criminal and drug seeker when I had always been truthful with all my doctors.
    Well I brought it back but asked for a written statement saying when I turned them in and how many I turned in, because who knew whether she was bullshitting me and just planned to take them herself. The next time I saw my GP, I talked to her about it and she said that the PA was right.
    So be careful. You may not even know when you are breaking the law.
    Please think about all of this. Several members here have commented on your thread and statements that you made.
    We all came up with some potential problems, red flags, things that just didnt fit together.

I know its difficult when this is all done online and not face to face. Please understand that we respond based on what people post. Its nothing personal.
  • MSGMSG Posts: 296
    edited 03/14/2014 - 6:05 PM
    I appreciate the feedback, but as I said in my post the Dr said he doesn't prescribe pain meds, period, to anybody, not just me. As for driving while on meds, there have been many discussions about this, & I'd say there is about a 50/50 spilit on who will & who will not drive while under the influence. Besides my own strong personal opinion about it, my husband is a Police Officer, so imagine if something did happen, & I were to be arrested? You might want to read other opinions about laws regarding driving while on narcotics, just to hear others peoples thoughts about it. Both my pm & Ortho whom I've expressed my feelings about that have told me that I am absolutely doing the right thing by not driving. Also, both have told me that my back is badly screwed up, & they don't question the amount of pain I'm in, it's just that the pm doesn't believe in narcotics. My Ortho has been prescribing the less strong ones like Norco, percocet & Vicodin. I've never asked about oxy, & I don't intend to, I will just try & make due as best I can. As far as alternatives to driving at all, or having others pick up my children, not possible. Sometimes we all have to suck it up, no matter how bad the pain is, & whether or not we are on meds, cause for a lot of people they don't always work well, but there are certain things you just have to do, & for me, this is one of them.
  • Wow, that really sucks! I get the impression from other posts that Florida had a huge "pill mill" problem, & u pretty much can't change your breathing pattern without running the risk of landing in jail. You were smart to make the pa give you a note stating how many pills you returned. Good luck with everything.
    edited 03/14/2014 - 7:23 PM
    I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback & don't take anything personally. As I've said, & I'm sure is obvious, I'm pretty clueless about how to deal with pm's, but I'm learning a lot from this forum, & really do appreciate it. I am having a hard time understanding how being honest with your dr can get you in so much trouble. And by being honest I mean not only answering questions truthfully, but also being able to ask about possibly trying a new med that you heard worked for someone else & might possibly want to try without fearing being thought of as a criminal & possibly even truly facing criminal charges. Given what we all go through & the proof we have with MRI's, X-rays, surgeries, etc it makes no sense. But I guess we have to pay the price for the few bad apples in the bunch. Anyway, thanks for your comments; I know my situation is a bit unusual (story of my medical life), but everything I wrote is true.
  • My mistake. Sorry about that. Sounds like you found a lousy PM. That idea that narcotics only work because I the Tylenol is ridiculous and not based on evidence at all. Run.
  • Like Ron said anything we say is not personal. Just a little tip of advise for your next PM appointment. Go in there as honest as you always are, but let the doctor conduct his job. Just sit there and answer his questions straight to the point with out making a long winded statement followed by your response. Don't justify a response to a question!!!!! Just go along for the ride while you are there. I wish you the best of luck.
    alif l4-s1
  • I would becareful before I would go to another PM. This is going to look like dr shopping to get med's. Honestly, you seem upset by the response but you asked questions on a public forum. You state your in horrible pain, but only take meds one time a day. This does not seem like chronic pain. I do understand that you do not want to drive under the influence.

I can operate a car, work, etc with pain meds. I do not get high from mine and it helps,me function. You have to get the right combo of meds. Have you tried lyrica? Can i ask why you haven't had surgery. My PM will release a patient at anytime.

I am a person who listens diligently when i have my office visits. I answer their questions specifically as to what is being asked and reply accordingly. My PM and i have a contract. I cannot get any more pain meds from anyone else. Communicate is key. Have you had drug testing at the PM? I have this is how they review patient compliance with taking their medication. Why have you seen over 200 doctors?

I live in new york and my doc told me they get a report everyday as to who has gotten narcotis, from where and what pharmacy. Do not over share with the pharmacy either, that could backfire to.

Have you tried Tramodal. It is a non-narcotic pain med.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 03/15/2014 - 6:23 AM
    To be honest I've never really encountered many of the common problems that seem to come up a lot here. I've been very lucky (mostly) over the years. However I fully understand where some of the confusion & issues come from. I know we are supposed to show due diligence & study these things for ourselves. I confess I never did. I hurt, went to GP, referred to PM, referred to other specialists. I did what I was told. Chatted openly & honestly about anything I thought relevant to my condition. I never knew..

1. The goal of Pain Management is a 50% reduction in non medicated pain.
    2. Narcotic medications are a 'big deal'. (Pain pills were just another medication I was given)
    3. Anything about 'Red Flags'.
    4. Don't ask for specific medications.
    5. PM doctors can dismiss you.

I'm not saying I was right in my ignorance & I'm not saying I was adversely effected but it does seem to cause a lot of pain & frustration for people. Why don't PM offices provide a print out of this kind of information? If people should know these things someone should be telling them..or do most docs & it's just my experiences are out of the norm?

The 50% reduction in pain target would of saved me a lot of frustration in the early days. I've said 'I read that a lot of people are finding Morphine (for example) really helpful. Could that work for me?' as easily as I've said 'I read essential oils are great. Should I try?'. I'm talking about doctors I have an established relationship with. In the beginning I just followed all advise. Maybe my innocence was apparent or I've just been lucky with my doctors but I completely understand how people get into trouble with this.

I know now. It's just we talk as if everyone should know these things from the start. Most doctor, patient relationships aren't this complicated!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I live in New York and they keep a eye on the narcotics that you recieve and fill. I recently had a revision surgery from a double mastectomy. My PM doctor has had me on two narcotics that work great together. But the plastic surgeon gave my husband two scripts one for Percocet and a antibiotic. He took to pharmacy and had them filled. But I called pharmacy and told them I didn't want the Percocet and they discarded it. I gave the script to my PM doctor so he could see I didn't use it.
    Female 44 survivor of thyroid cancer...just had two surgeries for breast cancer and chronic back pain. Live in upstate ny. On 8mg dilaudid 6 a day and 60mg morphine sulf er 2x day
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 03/15/2014 - 3:13 PM
    EnglishGirl said:
    Most doctor, patient relationships aren't this complicated!
    I know, right?!? One has to tread so carefully just to avoid being pigeonholed as a "drug-seeker" it's just ridiculous. I'm at a point where my medication doesn't help at all anymore but I have no idea how to safely communicate that information to my doctor. I have tried. I told him my pain had gone back to being as bad as it ever was, but that didn't get any kind of response. Just more of the same meds. It would be so nice if the medication we needed couldn't be abused at all, then we wouldn't have to worry about any of this.
  • As I said to Ron, I don't take any of this personally, & appreciate everyone's thoughts & comments. You have said some good a advice, thank you'
    edited 03/15/2014 - 6:29 PM
    You r right about not looking for another pm, as I've said I'm just going to contine to work with my Ortho as long as possible. I figure the more time that goes by before I look for anothe pm, the less likely it will look like I'm "doctor shopping".

I'm not sure why you think I'm upset by the responses, I'm getting when, I've said several times how grateful I am for the help. What I am upset about is that this whole situation exists, Right on!!!! Pay it forward! should be able to get what we need, when we need it. If I came across on any way that I am upset with the postkers, I truly apologize, because I'm not.

I take meds at least twice a day. I have pain every day, but like everyone I'm sure, there are not-to-bad days, than there are days you just feel like you could die from the pain. Yesterday was not to bad of a day; today, after spending all day at my daughter's dance convention is definetely not a good day! I think it's going to take me 3 days to recover from this!

I have not tried Lyrica. No one has offered it, & to be honest I'm a little leery of anti depressants. The reason is that I went through a horrible menapausal depression, & went to a physiatrist & he tried several anti depressants, several with bad effects. We finally go the right "mix" (lexapro & Wellbutrin) & I'm hesitant to rock that boat, but thank you for the suggestion.

My Ortho recommend surgery, but I do not want to do it. However, I did see a neuro for his opinion. He said "there is NO WAY I would ever operate on you, you are way to high risk" in case you are wondering what he meant by that, there are 3 reasons: 1. I have been on prednisone for 30 years, & prednisone really slows the healing process, in addition to the million other horrible side effects 2. After a previous surgery, I developed not 1 but 12 blood lots in my lungs, I'm lucky to be alive.
    3. I'm not exactly a size 0....

I have not done drug testing, signed a contact etc with my pm because he only gave me neurontin & tramadol, & n
    He never asked me too.

200 hundred dr's was a typo, I meant to say 100 dr's. The reasons would take me all night to list; I've had a lot of unusual medical issues my whole life. I'll just name a couple:

1. Idiopathic, pressure induced chronic urticaria since I was 16. Idiopathic means the doc's don't know why, pressure induced means that if say, I wear tight pants all day, I will get as large red welt in the shape of a waistband on my stomach, chronic you know, & urticaria is hives. It is not from any kind of allergy, it's an autoimmune thing. Basically, I'm allegro to myself!

2. Ovarian remnant syndrome. A couple of years ago, I had my uterus & ovaries removed. One grew back, with a cyst on it! Ironically enough, the ovarian cyst was noted on an MRI done on my back! I had it removed, & guess what? Anothe MRI on my back showed another ovarian cyst! Once is rare enough, twice is almost unheard of! It's not bothering me right now, so I'm not going to do anything about it, other than get an ultrasound every 6 months.

3. Arterial spasm of the corated artery. Not even the anesthesisolist who did my recent surgery heard of this one, he had to call my PCP & get a copy of what happened. The symptoms mimic a stroke, so you can imagine how scary that was! Like the muscle spasms we get in our back, it was like a muscle spasm on the corated arerty.

So they you go, just a couple of examples of why I've seen so many dr's in my life. I'm sure some of you reading this are wondering if I'm making all this up, but I swear it is all true. If I can figure out how to scan & upload to this forum, I'd be happy to do that if you want proof.

Good advice about not over sharing with the pharmacy, thanks!
  • You hit the nail on the nail on the head! Thank God we both found this forum :)
  • The fact that you are a cancer survivor & have to go through all these hoops & worry is in my eyes, criminal! There so much subjectivity about people with chronic back pain, but cancer? Come on. It was mentioned on another post that chronic pain patients need an advocate. I don't know of any such advocate for us, but I'm sure there are for cancer patients. You should not have to have all this extra anxiety while you are trying to recover. I will keep you in my prayers that you make a full recovery.
  • The realty is that if people want to get high, they will always find away. Whether it's pain meds, cough syrup, Pam cooking spray, or making their own meth, there is always a way for them. But what sucks is that it's the innocent people who are being punished, not the criminals! Thanks for sharing your fears & concerns, it makes me feel not so alone.
  • I totally agree. We are the ones that are law followers. If we were lawbreakers we could have anything we wanted and not have to jump through so many hoops.
    MSG I am so sorry for everything that you have been through. I am here if you need support.
    edited 03/16/2014 - 7:50 AM
    I just wanted to make a small correction to what I posted to you. Where it says Right on!!!! Pay it forward! This is not some crazy auto correct, or me having taken too many drugs :) my daughter & son have iPhone/ iPad, & we sometimes have stuff synced into each other's devices. I recently lost all my phone contacts, & got all of my daughters! This syncing thing happened in the middle of another post I was doing last night, but I caught it before I hit send. I'm sorry I didn't catch yours. I just wanted to let you know what happened, because if I were on the receiving end of that I would seriously wonder about them!
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 03/16/2014 - 1:01 PM
    I'm still flabbergasted by the subject of 'Managing your Pain Management Doc'..it's a crazy state of affairs but if it has to be done...

In your situation I'd write down everything that you currently do to manage your pain. Not just meds, include stretches, activities you avoid, hot/cold, music & relaxation etc. Make another list of things you'd like to try aromatherapy, meditation, change in meds etc. and a list of things you can no longer do. Try to have a conversation based on how your pain has changed & how it effects your life. Make it clear how bad it is, try to really describe your pain. Make sure he understands just how bad it is & how you are really trying to manage it by any means possible & it's not working anymore.
    When I walk in with pieces of paper my PM knows I mean business! ;-)

Pain management only really works for me when I truly feel like we're working together to move forward. When you've developed a blend that works for you it's ok to have the flying visits & regular prescriptions but you're clearly not in that place.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.