Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weight bearing MRI's?

Hi Guys,
So I have had continuous symptoms and pain vet since my second spinal fusion from October. My neurosurgeon had gotten MRIs done before but they have never shown a reason as to why the symptoms were there and why they were getting worse. I recently heard about weight bearing MRI's. Anyone had these done before and have they shown something that really helped? Any info at all would really help because I want I find a reason for my worsening symptoms and pain.

• If anyone has read my posts I am a great believer in weight bearing MRI's if you can't get a correct diagnosis. I did a lot of research and there are not many in Australia. If you PM me I'll send you the link to the research, you can make up your own mind. The images are not supposed to be as good but they look fine to me. The research says there can be up to a 30% miss rate for some spinal conditions on a prone MRI. There is also a lot on You Tube if you want to research. BUT I haven't had one so I would be interested if the research correlates with peoples experiences.
  • Spine In SecuritySSpine In Security Posts: 35
    edited 03/15/2014 - 6:05 PM
    Before my lumbar fusion, I had an upright MRI with seated, extension and flexion runs. Remember the old TV ads for wildlife books and the corny "Did you see that?" where the elephant's trunk moved? My L5 did that on extension.

A regular flat MRI would not have shown the instability, so to me, upright or weight-bearing imaging is absolutely worthwhile.
    August 2013 C7-T1 MED
    July 2013 L4-L5-S1 TLIF
    December 2011 C5-C6 ADR
    April 2009 L5-S1 MED
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 03/15/2014 - 11:06 PM
    Thank you so much. I really believe I was misdiagnosed for 8 years due to prone MRI's. They could not see the one above my 80% crushed T5 to the right was not in the correct mechanical position. My T4 was way out of place pressing on my nerves and spinal cord as my T5 couldn't hold it in place.

I think I went through 8 years of agony and misdiagnosis as firstly no-one realised my T5 was crushed to the right and secondly they all looked at my T5 not the one above which was slipping out and causing all the excruciating pain. I lost so much and went through so much pain because of so many wrong assumptions. I am still angry about it. For 8 years I had no life, gave up my job early because of pain thereby losing an incredible amount of money which I should have been entitled to after working so hard for so long, lost my partner and had intractable pain that opioids hardly touched which was so unnecessary.

Even now as it has been out for so long it only has to move a fraction to go back into the wrong position. The excruciating pain comes back, but now I am able to deal with it as mostly I can get it back in place with a physio wedge.

I really don't want anyone else to go through that ever again due to the miss rate for certain spinal conditions on a prone MRI. I know I go on and on and on about this but if I can help one person who has not been correctly diagnosed I will be happy.
  • Thoracic spine pain: I just emailed my neurosurgeon and attached the link you PM'd me. We will see what she says. I just want to let you know that you need to forgive and let go what happened to you. I can tell it was very frustrating but you need to move on with your life. I know its hard and you have been through a lot but its not worth it to be mad at what happened. Hat is one thing I have learned through what I have been through.