Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Procedures for neck pain. Please read!

Hey Everyone. First off thank you for reading this post. So I have had 2 spinal fusions surgery. I currently have my skull-C2 fused. I have a contusion on my spinal cord due to a broken C2 which led to the surgeries. I have ever since had extreme pain and am still having symptoms like streaking pains down my left arm and leg, tingling type feeling/ numbness that happens off and on and weakness in my left hand. I go to an OT for hand strength as PT for neck therapy. For the symptoms and pain I have tried nerve injections which worked so we clipped the C2 nerve in my last surgery which was back in October. For the pain I have tried ice, heat, muscle relaxers, TENS unit and am currently on opiates because of how severe the pain is. Is there anything else I should try. Has anybody tried something that helped their symptoms. I am honestly willing to try anything. Help!!!

• stasiamariesstasiamarie Posts: 64
    edited 03/15/2014 - 3:08 AM
    Hi I am sorry you have servere pain I cant tell you what you should try as I have tried evrything I can too! I just hope you fell better soon! I need answers and advice about me too so I am desperatly searching on here for anything as I have had no surgeries and am waiting for my first MRI coming this wedensday! I had one back in 2007 and it showed 3 bulging discs and DDD but the pain eventually went away. in Feb 2014 my pain and my neck swelled went to DR they said it was swollen lymph nodes and sent me home then the antibiotics were done and the pain was still there they ultrasound my neck to see if I had malignent tumor or cancer but it came back as nothing of that, then the ENT said you are in the wrong dept you need to see a Neuro. I didnt know it was my neck pain from 2007 I thought that healed sooooo I got the run around for a long time and I dont blame the doctors but jeez Ive been hurting so bad went to ER they did x ray but that deosnt show much my face became numb left arm is weak and 2 middle fingers went numb dropped my coffee cup just like that. at that point I knew that something either burts in my neck or something I dont know but the pain is now in my neck and shoulder upper back below my back of neck. it feels like my head weighs 1000 lbs so I have a collar now which helps take the pressure off holding my head up with my poor neck alll is on the left side. can you tell me if you before you had your surgeries got these symptoms at all?? I had 3 hit from behind car accidents one at 16 one at 18 and the last at 37 yrs old I am now 47 in May. the Neuro wont touch me untill he sees the MRI or wont tell me what it might be, been thru PT Chiro pain managment yada yada yada back in 2007 what a waste of time and money, please help me I hope you get better and get the answer you looking for too! my Name is Stacy :)
    ACDF One level C- 4 April 2014
    Cervical Spondylosis \ Myelopathy
    Chronic pain sufferer since 2005
  • I had numbness/tingling in my left arm along with weakness in my left hand. I also had stabbing pain in my neck which I still have. I actually wore my cervical collar after my first surgery because I felt more comfortable and more secure. I do recommend going to the MRI. If you want a good neurosurgeon recommendation I can recommend my neuro, just PM me. She is really good and will email you back as much as needed.
  • In 2011. My symptoms were very similar to yours. I too tried everything and was very resistant to surgery. I never had a surgery ever and I didn't want my first one to be my neck. My MRI showed 3 herniated disks, C4/5, C5/6, and C6/7 with DDD ,bone spurs and arthritis. I had the tingling, numbness and weakness in my left arm primarily but some in my riht. My arms ached all the time.I had terrible pain in my shoulders, around the shoulder blade and in the neck itself. Spoke to a highly reputable nuerosurgeon and he said I needed the surgery at least remove 5/6 and 6/7 or I would become paralyzed. He did Atwood level ACDF using plates and screw and cadaver bone. My surgery went off without a hitch and I did find some relief immediately but because I had to heal from the surgery and the fusion had to start, I did not get significant relief right away.i know several other people that had the same surgery and they all had successful relief. I on the other hand already had so e significant nerve damage and that is causing me significant nerve pain which keeps me searching for the life I used to have. I still have DDD and arthritis and still have one herniated disk in there. The doctor told me that one day, I would need to have C4/5 fused because it took more stress from the fused vertebra not doing the job.