Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Guide me through Fixated SI pain and healing

I was a healthy trim, middleaged active person who excersized regularly, that was 3 years ago. Now I am overweight, sad and in pain all the time. I am unable to enjoy my life or my family and I am frustrated to be jumping through hoops with the little energy that I do have, trying to navigate the health care "options" for pain relief and healing.

That being said, I am determined to reclaim my life and hope that you folks will help me navigate.

I have tried over the counter pain relief and that was able to help me manage for the first 2 years, my mistake for not seeking medical attention sooner. I was referred to a rheumatologist( by my primary physician) who diagnosed psoraitic arthritis and started me on Humira...not effective...but a 6day Cortisone treatment was extremely helpful, if only temporarily.

6 months go by, and I am back to using Advil, 8-10 per day. A MRI (see below)does not support the psoriatic arthritis diagnosis and I am sent to a neck and back clinic for lumbar strengthening. Initial evaluation at this clinic finds that I am quite strong( I have been excersing all along, just not cardio- effective) and that I have a terrific range of motion....no surprise. After 7 weeks, my pain has gotten worse and the doctor determines that the excersizes may be doing more harm than good. That's strike two!

I go back to my primary who perscribes a cortisone shot in my SI joint...it was given very carefully, guided by xray but it just did not help-at all...strike 3. My primary refers me to a collegue specializing in sports medicine who sends me on to physical therapy.

So, currently I am working with a physiotherapist at a highly regarded ortho clinic to manipulate my pelvis and begin the chain of movements needed to aleviate my pain and hopefully end it at the source.

Am I unreasonable to be less than optimistic? I have been patient I think. I am faithful to the excersizes and sleeping /standing/sitting with the appropriate posture. I have replaced my mattress with a firm new one. I am a believer in no pain / no gain and will willingly participate in a plan that may make things worse before better, but I am tired. I hurt. I do not feel like I have a good advocate for my best interest. Can any of you help guide me...what kind of doctor do I need...what steps have I missed?

Routine MRI without contrast: done 11/28/2013 indicates degenerative changes at L4-L5 and L5-S1. Advanced facet athropathy at L4-L5 with anterior subluxationof L4-L5

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and interest in my sad story.