Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LL Back Pain Help Please

For years I've had this horrible lower back pain. I'm at a loss as to what this is. I've been for PT, an MRI, and my Neuro-Surgeon has diagnosed this as DDD. But when I look things up, the symptoms don't match. He's scheduled me for fusion surgery in May.

I cannot stand for long periods of time - when I do I end up with stabbing pain that stops me in my tracks with no way to walk or stand up straight. If I jump, upon landing I have a sharp pain. The pain does NOT radiate down my legs at all. I have a "clicking" in my lower back when I shift my hips forward and back. When in bed, I cannot roll over because of pain in my hips. I have a massage pillow that use to help with the pain and at times I hear a "crack" in my lower back and feel so much better, and can move much better than before. But this does not last long. Is something "out of alignment"?

Anyone have similar symptoms? Any clue? I'm nervous about a surgery that is so intrusive. I'm an active artist and need my mobility back.

Thank you for any information or advice!
SRQ Sculptor

• I haven't slept on months. (unless I am sitting on the couch ) I don't know if you have the same thing but my hips hurt so bad my husband has to role me over to help me get outa bed sometimes I cant walk at all when that happens. I hope you don't have to but the doctor set me up for surgery this month and I have been really nervous until I found this site and havent been able to walk for the last 2 days due to that exact same thing. I hope this helps!
    Kimberly taylor
  • Good luck to both of you. I'm sorry you've been suffering like that. When it comes to a huge step like surgery I'd always advise getting a second opinion but I'm sure you've already read that many times here. ;-)

I'm also passionate about my art. I know how depressing it can be when pain interferes with your creativity. I've found some new & interesting ways to work now that I can't stand for periods of time. Never let your back stop you from working, I did for a while & it was mental torture!

When I first started pain management I was given a list of activities I should never, ever do again.. Jumping was at the top of that list, it's so jarring to your spine. Please don't ;-)

I've also got a click clack spine. Do you have the summary sheet from your MRI maybe that could give you some clues. DDD covers so many things. My doctor always talks me through my diagnostic test results. Maybe you'd feel a little better about the prospect of surgery if he showed you exactly what's wrong & what they're planning to do to help. What surgical procedure does he have planned? It's your body & you who's got to live with it...
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • SRQscuptorSSRQscuptor Posts: 2
    edited 03/18/2014 - 1:33 PM
    Thank you to everyone for your comments and input. Liz: I've read most of these documents, all but the one on the fusion surgery. In a way, I'm too visual a person to want to know exactly what they're going to do. BUT... I will read it and it will then allow me to better discuss things with my Neurosurgeon. I'm relieved to know that there are others that have the same symptoms as me and are scheduled for surgery as well. It makes me feel a bit more at ease about the decision.

English Girl: no, I never received any information from the MRI. But EDIT said that there are already many bone spurs from my spine trying to heal itself. I'm going to take your advice and pin him down and ask many more questions.

I just want to get to the point where I can sculpt for hours once again without knowing that I'll be hurting for a couple days after.

Post edited by Sandi- posting of physician's names is NOT permitted on Spine-Health.

SRQ Sculptor