Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lumbar traction

Has anyone tried lumbar traction for their herniated discs? Did it work for you?

• I tried it and it was the worst experience. So for me it didn't work, but remember everyone is different. I would try it if it could help.
    alif l4-s1
  • buffgirl23bbuffgirl23 Posts: 77
    edited 03/17/2014 - 10:36 AM
    I just finished my second treatment today. It didn't bother me during the traction, but my leg is bothering me quite a bit after.
  • Yeh I tried it all in the beginning. The manual traction at PT when they get on the table with you & pull on your knees felt ok. I then tried a chiropractor who had one of the big modern machines. He made me have 6 weeks of sessions (3x a week) before I could use the machine. He put a thing that looked like a door-stop under my bum for 10 minutes, held my leg a couple of inches above the table & timed that & played some nice music. My insurance company was invoiced a fortune for this..my portion came to over $600 before I even got on the traction machine! The actual treatments hurt like hell after & really didn't seem to help at all with my pain.

I also purchased an inversion table. I stuck with that for a while but never got positive results. Fortunately I sold it on Craig's List for the same money I paid for it so I didn't loose anything by trying.

We do what we feel we have to in the beginning, it's all part of our pain journey. I'm pleased for anyone who gets even a little pain relief from these things but if you're financially limited there are far better ways to spend your money in my opinion. I've tried so many things over the years. I keep what helps as part of my 'blend' & try really hard not to be bitter about all the cash I've thrown away.

Good luck & I truly hope you find what works for you. I'm now convinced that there's no magic bullet, no wonderful medication that's going to take all of our pain away. Give it a try if your PM thinks it's ok but if it doesn't yield positive results after a few sessions don't keep throwing good money after bad. I still shudder to think how much of my hard earned cash I've handed over.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Sheila44SSheila44 Posts: 2
    edited 03/17/2014 - 5:55 PM
    If traction is the same as a decompression machine, I had it almost every time I went to the chiropractor over the year it took me to heal my L4 L5 right sided herniation the first time. It herniated again to the left this time a few months ago. I also have an inversion table that I used last time as well but this time I haven't been able to lay on it long enough to relax and let it help me because the pain is too much when I lay flat. Hope this helps!
  • I recently did traction at physical therapy for my herniated discs in my low back. During my session I had to stop the machine because my legs were going numb. I had terrible burning after and it wouldn't let up even with ice. The pt told me that sometimes doing this can make the disc move closer to the nerve. Well I woke up the next day and have terrible pain in the backs of my legs all the way to my knees. Now everytime I bend forward I have a shooting burning pain in my back. I had to increase my meds and can barely walk I hope this gets better. Anyone else have weird pain following this type of treatment?
  • Yes, I actually had to stop the traction also as I developed hip burstits, along with IT band problems. Am going to an orthopedist for a possible steroid injection. This was in March and I'm STILL having problems!