Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The pain is getting OLD!

ericabeericab Posts: 1
edited 03/17/2014 - 2:35 PM in Chronic Pain
My name is Erica and I am a 30 year female. I am curious if anyone has experienced my problems.. apparently my new diagnosis is kinda rare? At least accoding to google.. anyone out there with any suggestions for how to cope?

About 7 years ago, I walked away from a terrible car accident that was caused by a drunk driver. My best friend and I rolled off an overpass and fell 20 feet. We walked away but I had terrible neck pain. Three months later I was rear ended and the pain got worse! I was treated for several bulging discs in the c-spine and went thru PT for a year and a half. Afterwards I thought it was all over. The pain was gone! Or so I thought.

About 1 year ago, I noticed this weird pain in my middle back. Didn't think much of it except it got worse. So bad, I was willing to try anything. My back was spontaneously cracking itself and the pain was getting worse. To the point I couldn't do anything. I just wanted to lay on the couch or in bed and do nothing. So I went to a chiropractor for about three months.. that didn't seem to make ANY difference..except it maybe made it worse, so I tried to a DO. His conclusion was that I had bad posture from sitting in front a computer at work all day and should try PT, that will take care of all my problems. He gave me some Norco and Flexeril and said I shouldn't need it but since I asked for it, he prescribed it. He wouldn't even take an xray or order an MRI! Which was strange to me...so I decided after a few months of PT with no improvement to get a second opinion. New doc orders an MRI right away.. today I got the results and it doesn't sound good. Here's what the report said:

1. T6-7 there is a small left paracentral disc herniation which causes slight mass effect on the cord. Slight posterior osteophyte formation is also noted at several other levels, most notable at T8-9 where there is also left paracentral.
2. There is a small syringohydromyelia which spans less than a centimeter in length and is located at the T8-9 level.

Also in the report, it shows other locations of osteophytes and a couple of slightly bulging discs.

Could this be why it hurts so darn much?? Now what am I going to do?? I got referred to a neurosurgeon. That can't be good :(

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 03/17/2014 - 3:04 PM

Here are a few links to help you get started.....a consult with a surgeon is not all that uncommon, and does not necessarily indicate that surgery is on the horizon.........he will review the MRI and any other tests done, examine you , and test your reflexes for nerve compromise issues,,,,,,,,,,, based on his findings, he will help you to come up with a treatment plan , usually involving the least invasive treatment options first, and then if there is no improvement or significant improvement, then surgery may be an option he may recommend.......

• backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 03/18/2014 - 6:29 AM
    my story .I had a car crash in 1997 .I needed emergency surgery on a lot of my body but my spine has been the most debilitating of the lot ..sure the scars on the head neck and so on have all gone and I have no problems with the other injuries sustained during the crash BUT I am woken after 2 hours sleep every night and its as if the crash has just happened the back and leg and now feet pain is beyond words that I can use on a live forum .I am now unable to work .I don't have a social/sex life I can't wear anything that covers my lower legs so I have to wear shorts I can't walk without pain and then not very far {we are talking meters not miles] .I can't even wear underwear as the altered sensation at the top of my legs is like sunburn .I have numb toes and altered sensations throughout the length of both legs and both my feet swell is I have been bending {even just to pick up a towel after a shower ..lifting is out of the question ..basically my life is lived out on a recliner ..I am 47 on my second marriage as my illness destroyed the first one I have no job as I am too ill to work I am never out of pain and I take massive amounts of oxycontin and oxynorm to keep the pain from 9.9 TO A MORE ACCEPTABLE 8..last year I started having severe abdominal pain and I never suffer with abdominal pain not even acid indigestion {I don't drink and I am a lifelong vegetarian] at first my doctor thought it was bowel cancer and I was rushed into hospital 3 times in a month ..the following 6 months were hell as I was still suffering with the normal back problems and now bowel pain ..thankfully after lots of test I got an ok but they are keeping their eye on me for the next 12 months ,I forgot to mention that my last surgery was ALIF the fusion that they go through your abdominal cavity and this is where I think the other problems have started from as next week I have to have a bladder operation ! .I have been ill now for 17 years and very ill for ten I have found out that I am B12 deficient and require regular IM injections .my health has gone downhill over the last ten years I have gained weight and life is hard work I miss work ..I did not realise just how much I had bottled up my feeling until the other day when I was visiting the gastroenterologist for a 6 monthly check .and he [who is a kind guy and aware of my complex health issues ] just asked ;;;how are you ??;I could feel my eyes filling up and I just lost it !! I was crying uncontrollably in this guys office ..luckily this guy is a very compassionate man and despite the fact backs are not his speciality ..he was more than willing to listen to me and just be someone to get it off my chest he understood the stress on someone like us the unrelenting pain the drug regimen and just the physical and mental drain on someones body with intractable pain ..I was concerned about my well being and was writing to my doctor explaining that the pain and forced lifestyle is a punishing cruel situation and that I need more help ,,the guy {the gastroenterologist} recognised as soon as I hobbled into his office that there was something wrong .he told me that although I did not know it was suffering with reactive depression .which is no surprise after 17 years of operations pain clinics and PAIN 24/7 .I knew things were not good but I did not realise how much things has got to me ..I have gone from a happy slim fit man and a hard worker to a housebound .nothing ...there is not much hope for me ..I don't see things getting any better at all .I carnt belive that my life has come to this .2 hours sleep dependant on drugs {or the pain would drive me to suicide }serious back problems are a major cause of depression and suicide and even though I did do not think that I am depressed and I would never commit suicide ..its obvious to the medical profession that I am under a large amount of stress ..I have tried every type of TENS all different types of drugs including alternative and I have tried physio and acupuncture I have done the lot and unfortunately thing remain the same every day and night .I hope you don't end up like me
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014