Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my introduction

Hi, I joined the forum 4 days ago and jumped straight in. This forum is the best thing I've found on my chronic pain journey so far. I am very grateful to have found so many others like me out there... a little about me and my condition... :-)
In April 2010 I was at the gym, during what was my normal session of the day I felt a slight pull in my lower back. The next morning a bulging disk pressing on the right sciatic nerve. Nothing worked, spinal injections, physio, pain meds, anti inflams, rest. In August 2010 I decided on a microdiscectomy to relieve my right sciatic pain. This surgery wasn't successful as the next day the disk protruded further. I was given no choice other than to have the disk removed a titanium cage put in place and fusion of L4 L5 & S1. During the fusion the surgeon placed 2 screws in to far damaging my left side L4 L5 nerves. A week later my 3rd surgery was to correct the screws. So, i ended up with 3 surgeries and 3 weeks in hospital. Now my right side is fixed but my left side from the top of my fusion to the bottom of my left foot is weak, tight and campy, has numb areas, sometimes tingly with sharp stings and depending on how much I do, quite painful. I also have foot drop of my left foot and recently bursitis in both hips. I take it as easy as possible being a single mum of 3 boys 10, 12&14. I can usually make it through the day without any meds but resting in between the normal house work, and my trusty heat pack. By night time it's a different story. I take lexapro, codapain, brufen, lyrica and on occasion valium. I'm also type 2 diabetic and have hypothyroidism so I take Januvia and oroxine also. I'm 46 this year and feel like I'm in a much older body... On a positive note since finding this forum I feel a little more hopeful in my situation. Knowing there are others out there is very comforting. Thank you one and all... ;)

• I am sorry to hear about your conditions .many of us on here are similar tales of woe .I am 17 years down the road regarding intractable pain .I have had 3 spinal operations ..the last ones was the dreaded ALIF fusion at L4/L5/S1 I have had nothing but hell since the second operation that was a redo of the original operation following a car crash .2 hours sleep a night [for ten years} no social or sex life ] unable to wear normal clothing on my lower body due to unbearable nerve damage .my health has suffered too due to lack of exercise and weight gain .I am also B12 deficient and require regular IM injections {one benefit of the B12 is it helps temporary with the nerve pain]..life is hard and boring .I am due a bladder operation this time next week .more pain !! I am married and I am only 47 myself .but feel much older ..your not alone my friend !!! again welcome
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Thank you for your reply and for sharing your story. Life completely changes and becomes boring at our age with our respective conditions. I'm so sorry to hear you're going for more surgery. I do hope it will relieve at least some pain for you. Sending you positive thoughts and my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Stay strong and be kind to yourself. :-)