Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Fusion and SSDI

I am only 39 and have a B.S. and M.S. Degree and have worked as a biologist for the past 13 years (only 2 different employers). In 2010 I had sudden onset occipital neuralgia, and after countless tests and injections I had my C1-C2 fused in April 2011. I went off in temporary disability (full time for 8 weeks and then part time through January 2012). In January 2012 I had a revision fusion done because the bone graft resorbed. I took another 12 weeks off, then went back to work part-time (20-30 hours a week depending on my pain).

In April of 2013 I went on temporary disability, and after 12 weeks my employer told me that I either needed to return full time or leave. Based on my pain, I knew I couldn't return full time. Now I am almost a year out from going on temporary state disability and I filed for SSDI in January.

I worry that because of my age and education I will be denied. Since my last surgery, I've had 2 rhizotomies and still take pain medication. I cannot turn my head more than 25 degrees to either side and 10 degrees down. I also suffer severe muscle spasms. My employer tried to accommodate me by buying me a stand up workstation, sit down desk, and custom high back chair with head support.

So, here's my question.....has anyone else in similar circumstances applied for SSDI? What was the outcome, I'm so worried......thanks in advance.
April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 03/21/2014 - 8:30 AM
    In order to be approved for SSDI, you have to have met the time requirements into the system, as well as have a qualifying condition, and you must NOT be able to do any job, not just the one that you had previously......being in pain is not necessarily a disqualifier for working, nor if the limited movement of your head. And both your doctors and the IME for SSDI must agree that you are completely unable to work .

The ADA -americans with disabilities act provides for reasonable accomodations to be made in the employees work environment, so I wouldn't be all that surprised if you are not approved.
  • I guess I should have mentioned that I've been dealing with this for 4 years, and progressively done more in the way of treatment. I started with manipulations, trigger point injections, muscle relaxers, pain meds....then had my fusion when my arms and feet started going numb. Then I did PT (probably 60+ visits over 2 years), TENS unit, different meds, then had a revision fusion. After that the pain still didn't subside, so I've had 2 rhizotomies and went on disability. I also use heat and ice every day for 2-4 hours.
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations