Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

And now for surgery

Qman2QQman2 Posts: 37
edited 03/19/2014 - 9:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I hurt my back last November and I've been on a slow, painful path that has brought me to surgery. My primary care doctor prescribed prednisone which initially helped but after a few days I was back to the normal pain level. After a second round with a higher dosage failed, I had an MRI in late December which showed a bulging disk. I had an epidural in mid January and felt great improvement. I felt about 90% at the time of the 2nd epidural but slowly reverted back to the initial pain levels I experienced late last year. I then did 3 weeks of physical therapy that did nothing for me.

Today, I met with a neurosurgeon who recommended a discectomy. He has an opening tomorrow so just that quick I'm in line for surgery. Obviously, my preference would have been to avoid surgery but I've tried all the conservative options without success. I'm very excited now that I'm soon to be on the road to recover.

March 20, 2014 - L4/L5 Laminectomy and Microdiscectomy

• Wow, that was quick! Good luck to you!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • Gosh. I would be against being worked on by a guy that would put you on the operating table for elective surgery so quick. But anyways, I hope it is going well for you and that you do indeed get fixed up. Let us know how it goes at your convenience.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hope your surgery went well yesterday. I'm thinking that your surgeon may have had a cancellation and that's why you were able to get in so quickly. Let us know how you are when you're able to post.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Qman2QQman2 Posts: 37
    edited 03/22/2014 - 12:43 PM
    The surgeon had a cancelation so I took the slot. Since it seemed surgery was going to be my only option, why wait?

Surgery seems to have gone well and 100% of my pre-surgery pain is gone! The first time I got up after surgery I was able to walk without a limp....first time in over 4 months. The surgery site itself is also relatively pain free. I take pain meds at night to help ensure a good nights sleep.

My dad had this surgery twice...the first time when he was 35. He was in the hospital in traction for 2 weeks and I remember him spending quite a bit of time at home laying on his back. My recovery looks to be much easier than his.

March 20, 2014 - L4/L5 Laminectomy and Microdiscectomy
  • Sounds like you made out alright! Congrats!
    You're in the honeymoon period right now. All the anesthetics are still having an effect.
    Take your time and give yourself permission to go nice and easy. No bending, lifting, twisting etc etc.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008