Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Symptoms getting worse

After chiro, oral steroids, 9 visits to PT, and a rx for Neurotin my symptoms are worse. The last session of traction made my left side feel like I was constantly touching a low voltage electric fence. I am so frustrated. Pain was never my chief complaint, but it's now almost worse than the zapping sensations so I stopped the therapy (after consulting my NS). MRI shows mild canal stenosis but severe foraminal stenosis. I know my NS will want to try epi shots next, but I really don't want them. Has anyone else had good luck with epidural shots for foraminal stenosis? If I thought I would get a few month's relief, I would be willing. But for a "severe" neck problem, are they really worth it?

• For me personally I did not have luck with the shots. I tried them in an effort to avoid surgery. I would recommend following your doctors advise and try them. You have nothing to lose. I will also tell you I tried traction and that was the worst experience for me. No thank you!!
    Good luck I hope you find some relief
    alif l4-s1
  • Dear ab:

I know exactly what you mean. It is not like you walk in and get a shot and you are done, it is quite a process from what I understand. I would need approval from my insurance and it is not inexpensive. Also, I have read that the injection can last for a week up to a year, so you don't know what your result will be. I recently read about the laser treatment, that is why I asked the question, it is much less involved. Like you, my pain is worse than it was before surgery and I have tried just about everything to get pain relief for the last two years since surgery.
    2007 TLIF L2-L3 Fusion; 2012 C4 Corpectomy, C3-5 Fusion.
  • Tired of the painTTired of the pain Posts: 197
    edited 03/21/2014 - 4:28 PM
    I have known quite a few people to get relief from injections, but it is not a cure. I had a frien who got injections for 9 years before she got surgery. I had 3. My insurance would only give 6 a year and it didn't cost more than my regular visit except that I wanted to be totally out and you need a surgery center and another anesthesiologist so it cost me $250 a pop. The first one I had was done without sedation and I was very uncomfortable and almost fainted. I felt much much better and was able to drive 3 hours from the office to another town where I was doing a presentation the next day. The way it is supposed to work is that the first one last one to two weeks, then there is a additive effect where it builds up in your body and lasts longer each time you have one done. Not every one reacts that way. Mine never lasted for more than a week and I wan't spending250 for a weeks relief. Hope that helps.