Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worst 4 Months of my life

Hi all. I don't know where to turn. Ive been in so much pain for the past 4 months. I have a hernieted disc on L5S1. PM dr said he wants to give me epidural injection. i cant lay on my stomach for more than 10 seconds becuase the pain that shoots down my leg. ive given up smoking, im trying to be more active, but i just cant walk. Ive been pushing through the pain. Thinking about liteaIlly my next steps. i cry every day. I wish i can have my life back. I dont know where to turn. Im making everyone around me miserable. Sometimes i feel like being alone so i dont ruin other peoples lives. Ive been going to a chiropractor for 4 months now for decompression therapy. Its not doing much :( but shes very hopeful. I've even tried proleteic enzyme therapy for pain relief. It was expensive and did nothing. Seems like everything i do i cant get back on my feet. I feel lost and dont know where to turn. I havent had a good night sleep in 4 months. i get 40 min spurts. I cant sleep on my own bed. ive been sleeping on the couch for so long now. i have to pretty much sleep sitting up. I cant sleep, i cant think straight, i hate pain mediction. it does nothing but make more moody. i just want to be able to sleep and walk. is that too much to ask for? Im sick of apologizing to my friends for being a douchbag when they complain about little cuts and bruises they get. i just to curl up into a ball and not wake up

• daretoliveddaretolive Posts: 3
    edited 03/21/2014 - 1:46 PM
    You need some medicine to deal with all this, just my opinion. I have chronic pain and today my MRI lumbar shows denerative dixks and stenosis and surgery asap. I have been in fybro pain for 23 years and now it is progressing further. So depressing, already had surgery in my shoulder after my bicep detached. I cannot stand the thought of more surgery and who knows what the outcome will be? I do take 1/2 tab of Zolpidem for sleep,everybody needs restoritive sleep, Lyrica for fybro, codeine and I really need an antidepressent after hearing I need surgery!
  • yeah i usually take a aleve, but it usually does nothing for me. the hard stuff like vicodin just hurt my stomach. Does Lyrica help? Sorry to hear about your shoulder pain. Hope your surgery goes well. Im feeling pretty down. I feel like im being punished for something
  • LC84LLC84 Posts: 599
    edited 03/22/2014 - 5:26 AM
    Talk with your Doctor about other medication options. The epidural may help you. There are a lot of other conservative treatments apart from what you listed. Don't give up, just keep trying other things until you find something that works best for you.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 03/22/2014 - 6:02 PM
    given enough time......however, it is really risky allowing a chiropractor to mess with your spine once you are aware that there is a herniation since any adjustment can seriously cause further damage. Your best option is to consult with a board certified spine surgeon regarding the herniation and what he believes is the best option to resolve your symptoms.
    Just consulting with a board certified spine surgeon or two does not necessarily mean that your going to need surgery, but he can offer suggestions for further treatment options.
    There is a link at the bottom of this post- Step by step Guide to getting treatment for Chronic Spine Pain....it would do you well to read it........
  • thuggins83tthuggins83 Farmington MOPosts: 2
    Im wondering how you are doing or if you are still following this post. I was diagnosed with the same thing and i feel the exact same things you do. 
  • wajihwwajih torontoPosts: 24
    Extremely sorry to hear about what you are going through. Completely agree with the response who suggested to change pain medication. Disogenic/neurogenic pain is all about pain management unless treated surgically. I just have one advice that please do not be afraid of pain medicine and try out whichever suits you. Unfortunately there is no other option but to just manage the pain at this point. Ask your doctor to give you something which help you sleep. Usually the sleep pills also act as muscle relaxants and give you a break. You are fortunate that you can at least take pain pills. My stomach has gone so bad that I cant take NSAID but only narcotics.Prayers and good luck.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    This is an old discussion created by a member who hasn't been on the forum for over a year  so I am closing it.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.