Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, I'm new here...4 weeks p/o

Hey everyone. I'm new here. My husband and I were in a motorcycle accident a month ago tomorrow. A lady pulled out right in front of us and despite my husband's best effort, we couldn't avoid a collision. We hit her going about 50 mph. Because I was the passenger I flew about 50 feet and in process of landing, broke my back in three places. I had two transverse fractures at L3 and L4, but had a compression burst fracture at L1. It was completely shattered. I was lifeflighted and everything. It was very traumatic, and we are extremely lucky to be alive. Two days later, I had a six hour surgery where they did a lumbar fusion, laminectomy, I've got two rods and a bunch of screws and cadaver bone. Part of back is still fractured, it will take awhile to heal. I'm supposed to be in my TSO brace for 3-6 months before I can go back to work as an ICU nurse, though I have been told that I may not be able to be at the bedside for up to a year. I'm very frustrated. I'm 31, active, a newlywed (we spent our 5 month mark together in the hospital), I run, we have three large dogs, and I'm stuck. I can't go anywhere or really do anything other than whatever I can do around the house. Last night, I was excited to try to cook dinner and boy did I pay for it, overdoing myself and having to take my norco which I try not to take unless I have to. wBefore this, I never took anything more than a multivitamin and an occasional Tylenol. For those who have been there, anyone have advice for me? Will I be able to eventually run again? Will I be able to get pregnant without it messing up the fusion? (Obviously that's out of question for now)... I'm not liking being 'helpless.' I have so many questions. Help.

• first I am very sorry to hear about your RTC I myself was in a bad one 18 years ago and have been in pain for 17 since the first accident .as you have had a fusion and I take it .that's you first spinal operation ? hopefully you should make a 90% recovery but don't expect to be like you were before the RTC .I am saying 90% as you're young and fit and this is your first spinal operation ,,if you were on your 2nd/3rd operation like many of us here things could be so much different .,I am one of the members that will tell it like it is .warts and all !! .because I have had and still am having an awful time .I need massive amounts of oxycontin and its sister oxynorm as a nurse you will know that they are a strong pain killers .I wish you well but don't expect to be back working this side of 2014 doing the work that you do I would take a year off I know of people that have gone back to work after a few months popping pain meds and then ended up back under the knife as there backs were not ready .many of these people are now as ill as I am and will, never work again you have had a massive operation and backs are hell to get pain free .you stand a good chance to recover if you don't have any neuropathic damage down your legs or feet ..if you do then things could be different ,my advice from a man that's been through hell for 17 years and the last ten has been unreal I get 2 hours sleep a night then pain wakes me I have no sex or social life and can't even wear long trousers due to unbearable nerve damage down my legs and feet ..I don't want you to be like that .so take your meds do some swimming when you can don't get pregnant just yet you are still young enough to start a family {I am married to a health visitor /nurse} and she has first time mums in their 40s with no problems .look after you first ..I hope all goes well with your recovery ..and I hope that you don't require more surgery .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • KamarinelloKKamarinello Posts: 6
    edited 03/24/2014 - 8:51 AM
    Thank you Liz and Tony for the welcome. Liz I learned a lot looking at that link, thank you. Definitely would have moved some stuff around the house had I known this was all going to happen. Tony, it was a month ago today that I had the surgery and the surgeons said I am rebounding very well, partly because my youth, partly because of my active nature beforehand and a lot because of my stubbornness. Nurses make horrible patients, it is true. I have overdone it a couple of times and have learned to try to find a balance between being active as I can but not too active where I am hurting myself. Thankfully I have not had any numbness, tingling or any of that but I do get a little winded if I am on my feet for too long. I am able to walk without my walker for short amounts of time and am pretty steady on my feet. That's a huge victory that has developed in last week or so. I am also able to stand straight, finally. I do my home physical therapy (light stuff like holding onto a counter and doing heel raises, slowly marching in place) but the doctors said to wait on doing a lot of PT until I am a little stronger, just doing minor stuff now. I think you are right, that I won't be back doing bedside care until next year. I can't imagine being able to flip our incubated and sedated adult patients like I could before after this for awhile.

• KamarinelloKKamarinello Posts: 6
    edited 03/24/2014 - 2:51 PM
    I did not write the above post....?