Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Miserable beyond words

Just venting, because I know you know how i feel...

Wednesday night, 2 hours of sleep, due to those fun "night sweats" that go along with menopause

Last night, 0 minutes of sleep, due to bad lower back pain, & Doc switched me from the 3 mg of Ativan I have been taking to sleep to clonipan, I think it is?

This morning, migraine headache

Kids had no school today, so we went to the movies. Less than 30 minutes in, I'm squirming in my seat & trying to hold back the tears, I'm in so much pain, but don't want the kids to know. Got up several times to walk & stretch, not helping. Movie couldn't be over fast enough, & I'm sad & frustrated that I can't even make it through a movie with my kids!

Home at last, 2 Norco & some Motrin, laying down watching TV with the kids, trying my best to distract myself this pain, more Motrin, some Biofreeze, nothing is helping! I haven't been in this much pain in awhile. Not sure what I did to bring this on, maybe the pedicure I got yesterday? Sat in one of those massage chairs, I couldn't get comfortable with it, so turned it off. Maybe it was that, or just sitting to long?

Guess I got my answer about whether the nerve burning thing & the breast reduction worked; worthless!! Back to square one. Hubby asked me if I wanted to go to ER, he can tell how much pain I'm in, but I said no, because we all know how that will end. If this doesn't settle down soon, I may change my mind & take my chances & beg for some relief...

I can't believe my PM actually told me Tylenol was all I needed to control this level of pain...

Thanks for letting me vent
We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand

• achyneckaachyneck Posts: 163
    edited 03/21/2014 - 6:46 PM
    Hi MSG,
    Sorry you're dealing with such bad pain. What is your diagnosis? I had two C2-C3 rhizotomies, and they both worked excellently for 5-6 months! Made my headaches way less intense (no burning scalp) and I could manage my pain.
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • I imagine lack of sleep would make pain worse. That would be my guess. Do you have an appointment with your doc who manages your sleep meds soon? I would call to let them know the new sleep med isn't working.
  • I too am in permanent pain and I do know what you mean I too only sleep for 2 hours a night .I am 17 years intractable pain and its pure hell ,.you have my sympathies .I have written many post on here if you chose to read them ..I won't repeat what I have already written again ! but it sounds like maybe a trip to your doctor for a painkiller review ?? good luck
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • mjd210mmjd210 Posts: 92
    edited 03/22/2014 - 4:19 AM
    I'm sorry to hear you are in so much discomfort. Have you ever thought about asking your PM for a fentanyl patch. I hear they are very strong. (I have never had one). From the sounds of it nothing seems to relieve your pain and I just thought that may work. Also I heard medical marijuana could help. (once again I have never tried it due to career choices) Good luck!
    alif l4-s1
  • for her doctor to try before jumping into the heavy guns like fentanyl.....the problem with going to a heavy hitter such as that medication, is that at her age now, using something like fentanyl leaves little in the way of options for later on.......medications have a escalation , like the steps to getting treatment for chronic back pain, starting with the least heavy opiates and progressing as necessary up to the top of the ladder......she is only taking norco now, so there are far too many other options of medications for her to try before jumping into the heavy narcotics.
  • I am some years out now since my last surgery and I would NEVER allow them to turn on that massage chair when I get a pedicure......no way, no how....that thing pushing into or beating into my spine would drop me to my knees and I likely would not be able to get back up.
    Try alternating ice and heat and hot showers , as well as the topical numbing agents and muscle creams......it may be muscular and I hope that it calms down.
  • MSGMSG Posts: 296
    edited 03/22/2014 - 6:49 PM
    I slept last night, so I feel better today. Pain is not gone (is it ever?) but much more tolerable today. Hopefully I sleep tonight. I am to call my Dr on Monday to let him know how the new med (clonazepam) is working.

I was taking lorazepam, prescribed by my PCP for anxiety & to help me sleep. I went through surgical menapause, & one day, literally out of nowhere came depression, anxiety, & panic attacks. Imagine post partum depression & PMS on steroids. Work got the inability to concentrate, kids got the anger, & hubby got the tears that I couldn't explain. It was awful beyond words. I had been on Lexapro for awhile, & PCP & I agreed I needed a different anti depressant, but he wasn't comfortable playing around with with differently antidepressants, so he referred me to a psych. Eventually we found the right mix of drugs, plus I started on biodentical hormones, & things improved a lot, except for sleeping, which is just ever so fun. Not! So my dr said ok to 3 mg of Ativan for sleeping, & if I needed a couple of extra mg during the day that was ok. Panic & anxiety subsided a lot until I took that fall in Oct which flared up my back & has had me out of work since. So much anxiety & panic over finances & what is going to happen in the future.

I had to switch psychs, & he didn't like the Ativan usage, so that's the reason for the switch of meds. 3 days in, I think it's helpful for the anxiety, but not the sleep. .5 mg 2x a day, I don't feel sleepy at all. I'm assuming .5 is a low dose, & that he started me on a low dose to see how it goes. I'm not really surprised that it doesn't seem to make me sleepy, I just seem to have a high tolerance to all drugs, narcotics or not. Except neurontin, I had some bad side effects from it, & it did nothing for the leg pain.

Monica- diagnosis is everything under the sun. DDD, spurrs, pedicle (sp?) fractures, stenosis, etc. I don't have it listed in my sig yet because every report is worded a little different, & I haven't been able to figure out how to summarize it, but PA at my next Ortho appt is going to help me with that. Ortho recommend surgery, but neuro said I'm too high risk, & he won't touch me with a 10-ft-pole. 12 blood clots in my lungs from after a previous surgery, 30 years on prednisone which can cause slow healing, & I'm not exactly a size 0. I wasn't disappointed in his refusal, because everyone I know who has had back surgery is worse off than before. Results on this forum seem to be mixed, but my gut tells me this is not a good idea for me. Ortho says "there are other neuros", & he thinks I will change my mind. That may be true, but I'm going to do my best to get by without it.

PM docs/pain meds: as I recently posted, I have been recently informed by my PM that he does not provide narcs for any of his patients, & I should just take Tylenol. I think he did his best to help me with procedures, & he knows from those that I have a high tolerance to drugs, IV fentanyl & versad didn't work much. Last procedure was 250 mg of demoral, & I was totally coherent & still in pain. So he has seen first hand my lack of reaction & he still thinks Tylenol is going to cut it? But I did not argue, I just decided there's probably no point in seeing him, & I'm just going to try to work with my Ortho.

I hope I can survive where I don't need fentanal. I'm one who doesn't believe in driving while on narcs, so the though of a patch or pump is not really a road I want to go down, but I certainly understand others who have gotten to that point, & I know it could happen to me too, but I will put it off as long as possible.

Funny about marihuana, my husband is a cop & he suggested it, because he has seen what I've been going through. It's against federal law, but here in Ca some cities allow it. Technically, the Feds trump local government, so really it is still illegal, but as you know, the whole thing is up in the air. I would never judge anyone for using it, but it's not something I'm comfortable with.

Sandi, you are right about the massage chairs, never again. I used to find them along with deep tissue massages helpful, but I think I'm too far gone for either of those. Next time I get a massage it will be the gentler Swedish one.

If I could prescribe, I'd like to switch back to percocet since I feel like the narco is so-so, & a prescption for oxy for days like yesterday. I don't even want the long acting one, because of driving, just the 4 hr one for really bad days. Of course, I don't dare come flat out & ask for this, but ideally that's what I'd like to try.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the sympathy & suggestions, I greatly appreciate all of it.

We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • MSGMSG Posts: 296
    edited 03/23/2014 - 5:06 PM
This discussion has been closed.