Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pay for MRI and have now, or wait a week and have free on NHS???

Advice would be greatly appreciated on this.
I have suspected impinged/trapped nerve in C6 C7 which has caused the classic tingly forefinger and thumb as well as loss of tricep strength in my left arm. This has been for 5 weeks now and my GP has eventually referred me to have an MRI. He said that the wait would probably 6-8 weeks so I booked a private scan for Monday at a cost of £399. Ironically my NHS referral arrived this morning in the post saying I have a scan booked for Sunday 30th!
Will a further 6 days wait really be that bad in the scheme of things? Having read that the longer nerve damage is left the more permanent the damage made me book the private scan, but is 6 days wait really worth saving £399 if recovery will be longer or more risk of permanent damage??
Many thanks.


  • philnoirphilnoir Posts: 52
    edited 03/22/2014 - 1:05 PM
    Can't really answer that question. Seems like after 5 weeks, another week won't matter, but what do I know about your neck?
  • mcjimjammmcjimjam Posts: 307
    edited 03/22/2014 - 5:06 PM
    I don't know what your financial situation is. I would wait. That is a lot of money to me and there may be costs involved with surgery which will be more important. I am in Australia, I don't know about the UK, but here most spine surgeries are considered elective, and if you have it done in a public hospital, you will be waiting a long time.
  • Carole 17CCarole 17 Posts: 3
    edited 03/22/2014 - 5:21 PM
    I had a Mri cervical and thoracic two years ago and it showed problems. I have been having nerve pain in my arms. I went this week for another Mri at a different hospital. It showed nothing! Now I have to pay for another one or get a second review by another radiologist. I would wait for the one the insurance pays for. That way if it is negative, you could pay out of pocket for another one.I was shocked to get the results of the one i had this week. How can I get a negative with two prior abnormal MRI's? So confused.
    Carole 17
Sign In or Register to comment.